Tweak #11 - L2 Cache Tweakage
The L2, or second-level, cache, is an integral part of your CPU. However, XP is very shoddy at detecting it, so setting it manually is sometimes necessary. It's easy to do, though, you simply have to navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\
in the registry and find the value SecondLevelDataCache. You must then adjust it to the value (in kilobytes) of the L2 Cache of your processor.
You should be able to find the L2 Cache value of your processor from its manufacturer.
NOTE: Sorry about this people, but the original version of this article showed me, in the above tweak, entering data in Hexadecimal mode. The L2 Cache of your processor should be entered in Decimal mode. Sorry, guys :(.
Tweak #12+ - TweakUtils
Finally, for those of you looking to squeeze the most out of your XP experience, there are a couple of programs floating around that serve to tweak XP even futher. They are;
Microsoft's PowerToys - Download Here
These PowerToys were developed by the XP team after the release of XP, and include things like Power Calculators, Super Fast User Switching, and improved Alt-Tab menus.
Microsoft's BootVis.exe - Download Here
This is another tool developed by the Microsoft Windows XP development team. It was designed to aid in decreasing boot times, and has been very effective at that task.
Xteq X-Setup - Download Here
A third-party tool, great for tweaking all versions of Windows, including XP.
That's all, folks!
Well, that does it for the second part of the Windows XP tweaking guide. I'd like to thank Leigh "Grim Reaper" for putting me on the trail of a couple of tweaks. Thanks mate! I hope this installment helped you get even more out of your systems, and if you have any questions, comments, et cetera, drop me a line at email@example.com or, post around in the TweakTown Forums.
Have some great Tweakage!
-Gavin "Osiris" Ballard
How much to upgrade to x64 Edition?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Cyclist has a rather amusing encounter with a Google self-driving car
- Netflix 4K copy-protection cracked, first leak appears
- Corsair announces new Bulldog that will ship in time for Christmas
- FBI demanded Scandinavian countries extradite Snowden if he visited
- Matt Damon: Latest 'Bourne' movie inspired by Edward Snowden saga
- x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
- Build Advice End of 2015 ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
- X99 Extreme 6ac eSATA
- Until Dawn Sony PlayStation 4 Review
- ASUS gaming PC
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20