Tweak #11 - L2 Cache Tweakage
The L2, or second-level, cache, is an integral part of your CPU. However, XP is very shoddy at detecting it, so setting it manually is sometimes necessary. It's easy to do, though, you simply have to navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\
in the registry and find the value SecondLevelDataCache. You must then adjust it to the value (in kilobytes) of the L2 Cache of your processor.
You should be able to find the L2 Cache value of your processor from its manufacturer.
NOTE: Sorry about this people, but the original version of this article showed me, in the above tweak, entering data in Hexadecimal mode. The L2 Cache of your processor should be entered in Decimal mode. Sorry, guys :(.
Tweak #12+ - TweakUtils
Finally, for those of you looking to squeeze the most out of your XP experience, there are a couple of programs floating around that serve to tweak XP even futher. They are;
Microsoft's PowerToys - Download Here
These PowerToys were developed by the XP team after the release of XP, and include things like Power Calculators, Super Fast User Switching, and improved Alt-Tab menus.
Microsoft's BootVis.exe - Download Here
This is another tool developed by the Microsoft Windows XP development team. It was designed to aid in decreasing boot times, and has been very effective at that task.
Xteq X-Setup - Download Here
A third-party tool, great for tweaking all versions of Windows, including XP.
That's all, folks!
Well, that does it for the second part of the Windows XP tweaking guide. I'd like to thank Leigh "Grim Reaper" for putting me on the trail of a couple of tweaks. Thanks mate! I hope this installment helped you get even more out of your systems, and if you have any questions, comments, et cetera, drop me a line at email@example.com or, post around in the TweakTown Forums.
Have some great Tweakage!
-Gavin "Osiris" Ballard
How much to upgrade to x64 Edition?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NVIDIA: Just Cause 3 engine 'incompatible with multi-GPU solutions'
- Report claims mobile broadband is more affordable than ever
- It's Not Too Late - Our Cyber Monday Sale Continues Today
- Google Street View used to monitor climate change
- OnePlus clarifies charging cable claims, not blaming suppliers
- conroe 1333dvi/h beta bios
- Tenda AC15 AC1900 Dual-Band Wireless Router Review
- Q9550 P5Q Pro overclock
- Asrock 970 Pro3 R2 Freezes Randomnly
- Foscam FI9821P 720p HD Wireless IP Camera Review
- Synthesio Announces Janet Megdadi As Chief Revenue Officer
- Polk BOOM Adds to Ready 4 Anything Speaker Family with New Swimmer Duo and Swimmer Jr.
- Viper SmartStart 4.0 Now Lets You Control Your Car from Your Wrist
- Gemalto Payment HSM Supports Cloud Tokenization Requirements for Secure Mobile Payment Transactions and Digitization of Credit Card Credentials
- ALL-METAL LG ZERO BRINGS TOGETHER LUXURIOUS DESIGN WITH BEST CAMERA TECHNOLOGY