Whilst writing this how-to I also tested Ubuntu's distribution with my PS3 because it seems a better starting OS for people getting into Linux for the first time. Everything is nice and shiny and there are so many tutorials written for Ubuntu which quickly teach you how to do everything. Unfortunately due to the PS3 2.0 firmware update, the networking was broken and I was unable to find a work-around. We just have to hope Sony hears our cries and fixes this in the next firmware update.
YDL is adequate as an OS, but I dare say it has not got the support base that other distros like Ubuntu, Red-hat and OpenSUSE have; and because of this it can make it hard to find out how to do things in YDL. Also, while their new GUI (called Enlightenment or "E17") is very shiny, it detracts from what it is actually supposed to do, be a desktop. You don't get the feeling you really have a desktop machine, but more of a media center which defeats the point of installing Linux. The XMB operating system is already ideal for playing games and dishing up media in that respect.
Linux performs amicably on the PS3; it really shows that the cell architecture of the system can be put to use in an everyday situation.
That in mind, it isn't fast. The hardware it is run on is limited with less than 512mb RAM and each processor only being 400 MHz, so just because you have eight of them doesn't mean everything will run as though you have 3.2 GHz on tap.
When Sony helps fix the network problem (or the YDL team patch it), having Linux as a second system could prove quite useful.
Easy to install
Provides a desktop type machine in your living room
Supports more media formats than XMB (through Fluendo)
Slower than average performance
Lack of "free" codec availability
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Latest News Posts
- 'Star Trek: Discovery' gets a further delay
- China is working on the fastest supercomputer, ever
- AMD Radeon Pro Duo drops to $799, dual-GPU Fiji goodness
- Switch's 4310mAh battery takes 3 hours to fully recharge
- LG G6 won't explode because it uses a huge heat pipe
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni
- NZXT reveals new Puck cable management system
- Synology unveils Surveillance Station 8.0
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup