Quests and NPCs
I found myself really digging Fallout 4's quest lines, largely due to the rather amusing NPCs. Bethesda is quite famous for its ability to inject humor, whimsy, and plain bizarre behavior into its games using non-player characters.
In this respect Fallout 4 not only delivers but steps things up quite a bit. The quests are so widely different and generally take you to the very ends of the Commonwealth and back. NPCs are a refreshing patchwork of flavor that really make the game come to life, making it more of an experience and less of a grindy RPG.
Throughout my adventures, I came across dozens of memorable characters, but some of my favorites reside in Diamond City (aka the "jewel" of Boston). Take the schoolteacher Mr. Zwicky, for example. Old Mr. Zwicky is a lonely man without a wife, but he happens to have a female Mr. Handy named Edna to help teach the class. Mr. Zwicky and Edna are...well..." close". Actually, they're in love, and I was able to help convince Edna to pledge her love for the teacher, which led to the two getting married. Only in Fallout, folks.
Then there's Nick Valentine. Nick is a synthetic android with a total 1950's Humphrey Bogart detective style. Valentine makes a living solving cases just like an old-fashioned gumshoe, and sports a classic trenchcoat and fedora to boot. Diamond City might be decidedly synth-phobic, but they know and love Valentine for all his good deeds.
Moving a bit East we see the town of Goodneighbor. This is a city of misfits, a place where all the flotsam and jetsam of the Commonwealth end up to eke out a living. There's tons of hilarious NPCs here, all with their own quirks and style. We have Whitechapel Charlie, the British Mr. Handy bartender in a rundown dive called the Third Rail. Then there's K-L-E-O, a female Assaultron, who sells some serious firepower. Irma runs the Memory Den, a VR-like sleaze pit that let's you revisit your old memories... for a price.
Quest opportunities will spring up like weeds, and many times are triggered by certain events or visiting certain locations. In one memorable quest, I dressed up as the infamous Silver Shroud comic book hero and dished out justice to ne'er-do-wells in Goodneighbor. In another quest line I helped re-establish the Minutemen, a faction of NPCs inspired by the Colonial Era that spreads help and goodwill throughout the Commonwealth. And at one point I swear I saw a UFO fly overhead and crash to the ground...
Fallout 4 also has a ton of factions all vying for control over irradiated Boston. These include the fanatical plasma pistol-toting Children of Atom cult, the iconic (yet ruthless) Brotherhood of Steel, the synths at the shadowy Institute, raiders and scavvers, bloodthirsty Super Mutants and miscellaneous gangs like the Gunners. Most of these will gun you down on sight and have their own distinct code of ethics. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can join up with raiders or nefarious groups, and I'm not sure there's any real way to be "bad" in the game.
PRICING: You can find Fallout 4 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Fallout 4 retails for $60 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Fallout 4 retails for £36 at Amazon UK.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ben Affleck's solo Batman movie will arrive in 2018
- Battlefield 1's new update includes SLI fixes, and more
- Nintendo Switch accessories begin to get detailed
- 'Transformers 5' gets first trailer, explosions ensue
- PS4 Pro dev kit auctioned with 800GB of encrypted data
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand