Quests and NPCs
I found myself really digging Fallout 4's quest lines, largely due to the rather amusing NPCs. Bethesda is quite famous for its ability to inject humor, whimsy, and plain bizarre behavior into its games using non-player characters.
In this respect Fallout 4 not only delivers but steps things up quite a bit. The quests are so widely different and generally take you to the very ends of the Commonwealth and back. NPCs are a refreshing patchwork of flavor that really make the game come to life, making it more of an experience and less of a grindy RPG.
Throughout my adventures, I came across dozens of memorable characters, but some of my favorites reside in Diamond City (aka the "jewel" of Boston). Take the schoolteacher Mr. Zwicky, for example. Old Mr. Zwicky is a lonely man without a wife, but he happens to have a female Mr. Handy named Edna to help teach the class. Mr. Zwicky and Edna are...well..." close". Actually, they're in love, and I was able to help convince Edna to pledge her love for the teacher, which led to the two getting married. Only in Fallout, folks.
Then there's Nick Valentine. Nick is a synthetic android with a total 1950's Humphrey Bogart detective style. Valentine makes a living solving cases just like an old-fashioned gumshoe, and sports a classic trenchcoat and fedora to boot. Diamond City might be decidedly synth-phobic, but they know and love Valentine for all his good deeds.
Moving a bit East we see the town of Goodneighbor. This is a city of misfits, a place where all the flotsam and jetsam of the Commonwealth end up to eke out a living. There's tons of hilarious NPCs here, all with their own quirks and style. We have Whitechapel Charlie, the British Mr. Handy bartender in a rundown dive called the Third Rail. Then there's K-L-E-O, a female Assaultron, who sells some serious firepower. Irma runs the Memory Den, a VR-like sleaze pit that let's you revisit your old memories... for a price.
Quest opportunities will spring up like weeds, and many times are triggered by certain events or visiting certain locations. In one memorable quest, I dressed up as the infamous Silver Shroud comic book hero and dished out justice to ne'er-do-wells in Goodneighbor. In another quest line I helped re-establish the Minutemen, a faction of NPCs inspired by the Colonial Era that spreads help and goodwill throughout the Commonwealth. And at one point I swear I saw a UFO fly overhead and crash to the ground...
Fallout 4 also has a ton of factions all vying for control over irradiated Boston. These include the fanatical plasma pistol-toting Children of Atom cult, the iconic (yet ruthless) Brotherhood of Steel, the synths at the shadowy Institute, raiders and scavvers, bloodthirsty Super Mutants and miscellaneous gangs like the Gunners. Most of these will gun you down on sight and have their own distinct code of ethics. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can join up with raiders or nefarious groups, and I'm not sure there's any real way to be "bad" in the game.
PRICING: You can find Fallout 4 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
United States: Fallout 4 retails for $60 at Amazon.
United Kingdom: Fallout 4 retails for £36 at Amazon UK.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- EVGA teases its GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid graphics card
- ARM announces new CPUs and GPU at Computex 2017
- ASUS leaks its own Strix X299-E motherboard
- You've less than 7 days to enter our 'Rings' giveaway!
- NVIDIA rumored to unveil Volta-based GeForce tomorrow
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017