WarioWare on the GBA was a massive hit. Nintendo probably didn't think it would become as huge as it has and have had to get their teams working on two sequels to the title to keep the fans wanting more. The premise was simple; create a game full of small mini games without any instructions to play through. It was one of the best 2004 GBA titles and one of the best portable games for the system. With the DS now available, Nintendo has made available its next Warioware game and this one like the upcoming Twisted has a difference. It uses the stylus and many other features of the DS to produce a game that is not as impressive as the GBA game, but still a decent game nonetheless.
There is somewhat of a storyline behind the game although it is very weak. It starts out with Wario coming across a lost DS system in a drain and he plans to create games for it which turns out to be the game Touched! All the other characters have some storylines to keep the game going but really they are more annoyance than interesting as some of the cut scenes drag on longer then a Lord of the Rings film. The storyline also doesn't really end so to speak and the characters don't really have interacting storylines so why Nintendo went to so much trouble is confusing.
The game is very much like its GBA sister. You're thrown a number of mini games in various order to complete before a timer runs out after about 4-5 seconds. There are no instructions usually and you have to react quickly and find out what you have to do. One disappointing thing about the game is that the variety of games seems to have been toned down in that the order of the games seems to be the same. A lot of the games are also edited or rehashed from the GBA version of the game but there are some decent new ones.
The games are divided into different categories; touch, drag, blow, spin etc. This pretty much tells you what you have to do. Some are weaker than others. For instance the blow games all you do is blow into the system and these are quite easy to complete while spin can have some difficulty such as catching a fish and bringing it in. The majority of mini games are new and there are some really impressive ones but we found again 9 volt to be best character to get games from. His games are made up of old school Nintendo games from the NES and you get to see scenes from Zelda, Metroid, Super Mario Bros etc. If there is one thing positive about the game, it's that the stylus is used very well and Nintendo has done a decent job using the whole system.
Finishing the game which will only take about two hours making is very quick, although it does has some replay value. That's because you won't unlock all 180 mini games first time through. Also the game has a number of small games it gives to you such as playing a piano, a calculator, pong etc which can enhance the replay value a little. However like the GBA version, playing the micro games over and over again really doesn't get repetitive quickly.
The visuals of the game are very well done but don't use the 3D aspect of the system. They are of a cartoon style with bright colours being used and it really shows how detailed and bright the screens of the system can be. Some games use both screens such as pushing a man between screens while others just have one. Sound effects are fairly decent but no voice acting is included which seems like it will be the way the DS goes in the future.
WarioWare Touched! May not be as impressive as the original game but that could be because we already knew what was coming. WarioWare was an original game and came out of no where whereas Touched was always going to have a tough time competing with the older title. It's a decent game but it's by no means the AAA title the original game was.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- It looks like there were only 12,000 'real' women on Ashley Madison
- Tomb Raider goes mobile with turn-based puzzle game 'Lara Croft Go'
- Dell unveils a new 27-inch QHD G-Sync monitor, priced at $799
- 'The Iron Giant' theatrical re-release gets first trailer
- Apple already putting pressure on Fitbit in wearables market
- I am the new guy
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20