At Ubisoft's 2003 Gamers Day some footage of their upcoming platform game, Beyond Good and Evil was shown. Beyond Good and Evil is coming from the creator of the Rayman series, Michel Ancel, so will no doubt become an ongoing franchise if it is successful upon release later this year.
In Beyond Good and Evil you play as Jade, (who happens to wear Jade lipstick, Jade Green Trousers etc), a young woman helping young orphans who's parents have been taken by the Domz, a weird alien race which are trying to take over the land of Hyllis, where Jade resides. Jade has a protective force field, until one day when the power company cuts it off due to lack of payment. This gives the Domz the perfect time to attack, which they do. The orphans are captured and Jade must fight to get them back. She too is captured and a friendly pig hero named Pey'j rescues her. The science laboratory requires pictures and will pay money for them, but Jade smells a conspiracy and it becomes her prerogative to expose it.
Beyond Good and Evil is split between two main genres, platforming and games like Pokemon Snap. To get from place to place, you as Jade will have to run, jump and bash enemies. However at times Jade will spot a unique item, creature or something amiss in the environment. That's when its time for you to pull out her trusty snapshot camera and submit it to the science laboratory. This is how you will gain money to keep the electricity company happy
We took hold of some demo code at the Gamers Day and have played through it. The code contains two levels, which have been seen extensively in various trailers. The first level has you in control of a hovercraft to defeat a dragon-like water creature after which the game moves forward a little and you have to sneak your way through a Domz base and get out once spotted. The two levels are fairly short but from what we can see, Beyond Good and Evil looks quite original and should appeal to all platform fans.
In Beyond Good and Evil, Jade will come up against enemies such as the Domz, dragon-like creatures, a weird green alien eye and many others. The enemies look as heavily detailed as Jade and even on the PS2 the game does look great. Jade animates really well during fighting, jumping, twirling and launching a special magical attack. She even looks great when crawling to avoid detection from the Domz.
Jade will not be alone in her quest to expose what is going on. Help from IRIS (the laboratory she is working for), The Alpha Sections (who train men for combat against the Domz), Double H (a soldier who looks like he would be more at home in a tale about Camelot then a space opera) and of course Pey'j the pig. The player only controls Jade and most of the time she will be alone.
Beyond Good and Evil uses the Jade engine which was specially built for this game. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time also uses the Jade engine but obviously in a completely different manner. The engine allows transitions between vehicular combat and on foot adventuring, immersing you more into the game as you continue on this adventure.
Mission types will also vary. Beyond Good and Evil will feature the standard platforming missions where items have to be obtained and used to progress. As well as missions involving a hovercraft which over time can be upgraded and will eventually feature rockets which Jade will use to blast into space. Missions where Jade is tasked with avoiding the enemy by running and avoiding fallen objects and fire. Although Beyond Good and Evil is in the platforming genre, it is not a traditional platformer by any stretch of the imagination.
If you love a great platforming game and want some extra elements such as vehicular combat and an interesting storyline then check out Beyond Good and Evil when it releases for the Playstation 2 and PC in November 2003.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Pokemon GO generated an insane $950 million in 2016
- Nintendo Switch will have 'steady pacing of content'
- Faraday Future stops factory construction to afford CES
- Switch's paid online is made to attract third-party devs
- Samsung smartwatches now compatible with iOS devices
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99