A few years ago the worlds best chess player Gary Kasparov took on Big Blue from IBM proving that computers can actually play the game. Unfortunately the Playstation 2 doesn’t have the power of Big Blue but unless your Kasparov himself this title will still offer a formidable challenge.
This game is quite basic and that is acceptable given the budget price. There is only one mode of play and that is traditional chess. The CPU offers varying difficulty level from practice to help you learn the game right up to a level where even some of the more seasoned chess players may find a challenge. Chess can also be played by 2 players on the same Playstation 2 console.
Visually Chess is fairly basic but it gets the job done. Animations like those featured in the old PC game battle chess would have been a welcome addition and possibly spread the appeal of this game to beyond those who regularly play chess. Animations do occur but mainly consist of a piece taking another piece off the table during a move. The game does let players set time limits for moves and also the game itself. This only becomes useful in the multiplayer sessions with friends as the AI featured in Chess will usually make its move almost instantaneously after yours.
Those who like Chess and have a Playstation 2 should pick this up. Even if you don’t have a love of the sport but occasionally dabble in a game or two then at the budget price this should also be on your shopping list and even those who want to learn the sport. The varying levels of difficulty can build players from novice to professional over a period of time It’s also quicker then setting up the real board game!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo's Super Mario Run mobile game is online-only
- Next iPhone might not be that spectacular after all...
- Samsung confirms Black Pearl; comes with more storage
- Pewdiepie to delete his channel later today
- NASA joins Giphy with almost 500 awesome GIFs
- ASUS Maximus Ranger not detecting my GPU
- x99 Taichi gets WHEA 17 errors and BSOD124
- Dk-q1 / dk-q1h
- asrock 880g pro3 codes E8>54>19
- ADATA SC660 240GB Portable SSD Review
- BIOSTAR announces new motherboard features
- ADATA releases updated SC660H and SV620H 3D NAND external SSDs
- BitFenix announces the Shogun chassis with ASUS Aura support
- Bluetooth 5 specification now available, 4x Range, 2x Speed
- Zadak511 reveals SHIELD Series with RGB DDR4 RAM and RGB SSD