A few years ago the worlds best chess player Gary Kasparov took on Big Blue from IBM proving that computers can actually play the game. Unfortunately the Playstation 2 doesn’t have the power of Big Blue but unless your Kasparov himself this title will still offer a formidable challenge.
This game is quite basic and that is acceptable given the budget price. There is only one mode of play and that is traditional chess. The CPU offers varying difficulty level from practice to help you learn the game right up to a level where even some of the more seasoned chess players may find a challenge. Chess can also be played by 2 players on the same Playstation 2 console.
Visually Chess is fairly basic but it gets the job done. Animations like those featured in the old PC game battle chess would have been a welcome addition and possibly spread the appeal of this game to beyond those who regularly play chess. Animations do occur but mainly consist of a piece taking another piece off the table during a move. The game does let players set time limits for moves and also the game itself. This only becomes useful in the multiplayer sessions with friends as the AI featured in Chess will usually make its move almost instantaneously after yours.
Those who like Chess and have a Playstation 2 should pick this up. Even if you don’t have a love of the sport but occasionally dabble in a game or two then at the budget price this should also be on your shopping list and even those who want to learn the sport. The varying levels of difficulty can build players from novice to professional over a period of time It’s also quicker then setting up the real board game!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ARMS sells over 100,000 copies in Japan in first week
- Titanfall 2 may hit 6K on Xbox One X with 100% GPU usage
- Take-Two relents on singleplayer GTA mods
- 47% of gamers spend money while playing games
- MSI Afterburner now has hardware plot graphics
- Computer freeze and audio buzz issue
- AZZA Photios 250 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Team T-Force Dark ROG DDR4-3000 16GB Memory Kit Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R wake on lan problem
- In Win 301 Mini-Tower Chassis Review
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus
- Microsoft premieres Xbox One X, world's most powerful console
- Phison gears up for mobile phone market with PS8226 3D NAND eMMC 5.1 controller