AT case, ATX mobo, What am I to do???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT case, ATX mobo, What am I to do???

This is my dillema. I got great AT case. Its the size of Texas compare to my Antec1030! But its AT. need to put in ATX mobo in it. Searching the web didnt give me any sites or pic to it being done before. Is there a way to mod it? Help me out! :cry:
    BTW here;s the pics of the case, so you know WHY i want to keep it.
    http://sirwarrior.kicks-ass.org/Projects/beast.html

24CDbay!!!!!!! YEAH BABY!!!!

EDIT: Make that 28bays!!!!!!

Well 1st ya need to learn the difference between a full size ATX case and a mid sized case (full size cases have 6 x 5.25" bays) but what ya havn't shown in those pic's is where the mobo mounts in that file server case and what the back looks like plus if there's room enough above the expansion slots to be able to cut in the ATX format I/O sockets.

Comment

Oh, You mean the case next to it, no thats even smaller than my Antec case. Just a plain cruncher :thumb:

Will get some pics of the "inside"

EDIT: Ahhh I found it, it was on the page itself, and you're right, its a midATX case. my bad. :o

Comment

Are you going to fill it up with CD's? If that center wall is removable, I can see it housing numerous mobos stacked one above the other. It would make a nice and neat DC crunching farm. :wow:
        :-(

Comment

Well, the plan is to put a ATX mobo in there first.
          Once that is acomplished, I will add watercooling system. Than Im thinking of making SCSI Raid system/ ATA cards for storage (possibly Sata due to length of cables) and atleast 6CDroms and a DVDrom or two.
          Its going to be "THE" fileserver on the network, as well as the print server. Lights behind the door are a must! Im thinking 4CCFLs (unknown color)
          So far thats all I thought of, but I dont want to think of other things as I need to put in the mobo in it first.

Comment

OK, ATM digicam is MIA, which leaves me SOL. But after about 20mins of careful inspection, measuring, double checking and triple checking the dimensions, it looks like :drumroll please: IT WILL WORK!!!
            Out come the old trust screwdriver and drill. I have to remove a piece thats riveted to the case.
            After that, I found that some of the standoffs actually fit!!!!!! Which means that project Beauty and the Beast is officially going Waaaaaaaay ahead of schedule!!!! :thumb:
            It will need some dremel skills to make it 100% but expect pics coming soon.

:goes looks for his digicam:
            Where did I put it????:confused:

Comment

This At to ATX conversion article may be of some help.
              I have been working on a wooden case design, and it seems to me that the most difficult part to deal with (the mobo mounting and interface with the PCI slots) can be taken care of with a removable motherboard tray. You could buy the cheapest possible eBay case with one and junk the rest, or Lian-Li has one available all by itself for their PC-60 series. Here is one for $22. You could then just hack out the entire back and mount the tray easily. :cheers:

Comment

Word, You DA MAN!!!! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!! TY
                BTW the motherboard will fit fine now. no tray requred, but I will have to do the same thing as he/she did, that is make a hole on top left for the standoff, as the pluging/unpluging of devices into the mobo might cause issues.

I have to also cut out the back like in the pics, but now its really just a matter of some elbow grease, as I know that it can be done with a fullATX mobo. :thumb:

Comment

Hey, I'm glad it was of some use to you! :thumb:
                  I think it's a cool project. So you're planning to fill that thing with some older drives? Hmmm....might be a good use for them. I looked at it and thought that if it was mine, I'd look into finding a used rackmount system and do the self-contained farm as Elrado suggested. I've seen commercial enclosed and air-conditioned units....it'd be kinda cool to do a ghetto version and use up all those old parts, with a scavenged air conditioning unit on top. I've had a few design ideas about a rack system for farms, but a cooling solution to handle multiple CPUs all at once is the tough part. You have enough room in there to do a pretty serious watercooling system, maybe even one that could handle multiple blocks. I'm interested to see what you come up with. Keep up the good work buddy! :cheers:

Comment

well, Im actually looking at getting an enclosed rack for all my crunchers. Also the metal piece in the middle is way to havy duty to cut and there are 2 sheets of it, so its not worh it.
                    Its going to be a nice case, I am looking into getting it painted, maybe even powdercoated. we'll see, once the system is setup right. For now the plan is to making it fit.

Comment

OK, another bit of good news.
                      I was originally using a 8RDA board to fit in there, but due to LAN/USB and sound connectors, I would have to remove a lot more marterial than I really wanted. Luckly I have a spare KG7 laying around and since it dont have onboard sound and only 2USB ports, the fit is better. A lot better. So it looks like Im going to be putting KG7Raid into it. Which actually works out better in the end, as it has 4 IDE channels already :D Thats 8bays that I can fill with something.
                      Still considering SATA as an option, as well as looking for a nforce2 system w.o sound. I wonder if they make those????
                      Ahh well, at least I got some more progress ;)

Comment

Originally posted by kane2g
                        EDIT: Ahhh I found it, it was on the page itself, and you're right, its a midATX case. my bad. :o
                        I thought ya would. :D
                        I've done a few good AT-ATX mods and the most I had to do was just cut a rectangle out to fit an ATX I/O plate in (I've plenty of them around here) and drill 'n' tap a standoff hole or 2. ;)
                        Originally posted by kane2g
                        Still considering SATA as an option, as well as looking for a nforce2 system w.o sound
                        Don't throw the SCSI idea away either as there are some cheap parts floatin' around now but I don't like ya chances of findin' an nForce2 mobo w/o sound.

Comment

SCSI will help with cabling too. I believe you can have up to 9 connectors on one cable. I'm only familiar with the SATA connectors that came with my mobo and they only connect one HD each. Are there other configurations?
                          :-(

Comment

Well, Im not giving up on SCSI. I do have plans on getting some SCSI CDRoms and DVDroms. Since they are going to be furthest away from the mobo, I will have to do SCSI, as there are no SATA optical drives. Im thinking 8CD/DVDroms and use the bottom 4 spaces for SCSI raid. SATA would be for the middle, but that would depend on how well IDE cables will fit in the case. 18" aint that much to work with.
                            BTW I can get PCI SATA controllers so adding one or two of thos wont be a big deal.:thumb:
                            Digicam is still MIA :(

Comment

Well, this isnt going as well as I hoped. Looks like the dremel is MIA right along with my digicam :( I wanted to have something acomplished, but today isnt my day.

Maybe you guys can help me in the SCSI search tho, SCSI question

Comment

Working...
                              X