Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• activation help

i have just reformatted and reinstalled windows xp
    it is the second tim i have to activated windows but it says that i have exeeded the number of times i cn reactivate and then wants me to phone to activate
    why cant i reactivate and how many time should i be allowed to reactivate an oem windows xp license

Call the number and follow the instructions.

More information about activation here: http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

Remember, no illegal tips/tricks about activation allowed on this forum, so best to do what Windows tells you.
    My Machine

Comment

calling m$ is a pain, but I've had to call them a few times now and I havn't had a problem getting activated

Comment

i know about not asking for anything illegal on this forum
        i dont want any illegal tips
        i was just asking for any advice or anything before i phoned them

also i thought there was about 6 reactivations allowed or something like that but this is only my secont time activating it

Comment

i just read that article and it mentions the NIC as being important
          should i put my original network card back in? or can i continue using my new integrated one

Comment

if you like your hardware setup the way it is then leave it and just call them...it'll probably take 10 minutes

if you don't like giving M$ a ring then wait 120 days between activations , the activation resets after that long (at least it does with retail versions, I don't know about OEM) ....in other words, wait at least 4 months before you format again and you should be able to activate without a hastle (assuming you activate this copy or you'll be formating every month waiting for 120 days to be up)

admin, if there is something taboo about that^ then just tell me and delete it

:cheers:

Comment

im not bothered whether i use onboard or seperate nic so im gonna try puttin my old card in and see if i can activate online
              ill post back after ive done that

Comment

i just phoned them and got windows activated no problem and i didnt need to have the old network card in

Comment

Now you see why I use open licensing. :D
                  Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                  My Toys

Comment

ya it sucks, but I'm not going to completely switch to linux until I'm more comfortable with it

but until then everything else that is use is either opensource or freeware if I can't find a good enough opensource app

the only exceptions are games the OS itself...but I'm working on my Linux skills :devil:

Comment

i tried linux but gave up cos it was hard to use and games and stuff wouldnt run

Comment

well thats one truth that every linux supporter has to live with...non-capatibility of games, but what is that stuff you are talking about?
                        though i must agree that linux is still far from being as user friendly as windows is. i m trying to upgrade to gaim messenger 0.66 for last 3 days and everytime i try to install a dependency...it shows me another dependency : omg:
                        anyways...i m trying to upgrade to linux as soon as possible. though the trip is a bit tough but it will worth the time...:thumb:
                        Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                        Last Updated:
                        10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                        ======================
                        jabber : [email protected]
                        =======================
                        Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                        yabaa dabaa doo...
                        Customized for 1024x768

Comment

the stuff i was talking about was everything
                          my soundcard wouldnt work
                          i couldnt set up my internet access
                          it ran slower than my old pentium 166mmx

Comment

I've got 3 PC's that need reactivation when hardware is changed but I've found that to be no hassle at all and a few others on open licence which is even better so I really don't know what ya *****in' about as it's a pretty straight forward. :confused:

Comment

i had to phone
                              type in the installation id
                              then hold
                              repeat the installation id to an operator
                              he cave me a confirmation id
                              i typed it in
                              it didnt work
                              so i had to call again to get the code again

Comment

Working...
                              X