James Cameron is ramping up the excitement for his Avatar sequels, of which there are three coming out back-to-back starting December 2016 through to December 2018.
Cameron has come out talking about the Avatar sequels to Empire Magazine, where he said: "I can tell you one thing about them. They're gonna be bitchin'. You will shit yourself with your mouth wide open". Cameron has been working on the Avatar sequels for five years now, without starting production yet, so this is really saying something. He talked about the frame rate of the movie too, where he said he won't be shooting at 60FPS or 120FPS, but will shoot at 48FPS.
He continued: "My thinking at the time was that 60 [FPS] might be a better segue to the video market. I'll be plugging into a system that's a little more mature, so it makes sense for me to do 48 frames at this point".
It seems like for years, director producer duo Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin have been promising a sequel to the 1996 sci-fi epic 'Independence Day' which went on to gross $817 million worldwide and rejuvenated science fiction films once again.
Well today, Twentieth Century Fox has officially greenlit a sequel, as announced via Twitter by Dean Devlin.
As reported by Deadline Hollywood, 'Independence Day 2' is expected to go into full production starting in May 2015, after Roland Emmerich finishes duties on his next picture 'Stonewall', and it is assumed the previously announced release date of July 4 2016 still stands.
Original star Will Smith is not expected to return, but Jeff Goldblum will be back, and it's rumored that Bill Pullman will show up at some point, reprising his role as a former U.S. President. Expect further casting announcements to made over the next few months.
When Lucasfilm and Disney announced they would release the first trailer for a new 'Star Wars' film in nearly a decade earlier this week, no mention was made that the trailer would be released online, leading to some speculation that the 88 second clip would be released exclusively to a select list cinemas in the United States, at least for a while.
Now, the 'Star Wars' Twitter page has dispelled that rumour by announcing that iTunes will carry the trailer from tomorrow after all. Be sure to download in HD and turn speakers up to 11, for maximum effect.
We will be back tomorrow with our thoughts on the first trailer. 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' opens worldwide on December 18th, 2015.
32 years on from the release of the original, Ridley Scott is preparing to revisit the world of 'Blade Runner', with a sequel which will see Harrison Ford reprise his role of is-he or isn't-he-a-replicant Deckard. But now, the 76 year old director has announced that he won't be behind the camera for 'Blade Runner 2', but will serve as producer.
Speaking to Variety whilst on the promo rounds for his latest picture, 'Exodus: Gods and Kings', Scott has confirmed some more details on the story, written by the original 'Blade Runner' scribe Hampton Fancher.
We talked at length about what it could be, and came up with a pretty strong three-act storyline, and it all makes sense in terms of how it relates to the first one. Harrison is very much part of this one, but really it's about finding him; he comes in in the third act.
'Blade Runner 2' is expected to go into production next year, for a 2017 release - the 35th anniversary of the original.
Whilst the first teaser for 'Jurassic World' wasn't supposed to be released until Thursday, it seems Universal wanted to get out a little earlier to get some clear space before the launch of the 'Star Wars' teaser and have outed their first look at the 2015 blockbuster - and it's a doozy.
Showing the kinds of things I've wanted to see for years - a fully functional and operative park akin to a theme park, and something I didn't expect to see, I gotta say, 'Jurassic World' has now surpassed 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' as my most anticipated film of the 2015 blockbuster season.
'Jurassic World' hits 3D, 2D and IMAX screens worldwide in June 2015.
This year's third entry in the "Expendables" franchise was lambasted (and rightly so) for the studio chasing extra dollars by sanitising the hard R rating of the first two films for the sake of getting more kids in the theater. Now, star Sylvester Stallone has owned up to the mistake, in a new interview with CraveOnline.
'Expendables 3' was a financial disappointment for Lionsgate films, grossing $100 million less than its predecessor, despite their intentions. Asked about whether the third entry should have been released as a PG-13, Stallone responded:
I believe it was a horrible miscalculation on everyone's part in trying to reach a wider audience, but in doing such, diminish the violence that the audience expects. I'm quite certain it won't happen again.
So there we have it. Expect 'Expendables 4' (don't worry - it's coming) to return to a hard and gritty R rating.
Hot on the heels of yesterday's news of the teaser trailer for 'Jurassic World' coming this thanksgiving, Lucasfilm and Disney have confirmed that the teaser trailer for next year's 'Star Wars' sequel 'The Force Awakens' will be hitting select screens across the United States on the same day.
THANKSGIVING pic.twitter.com/46811BgWiF- Bad Robot (@bad_robot) November 24, 2014
14 years and a week from the release of the first teaser for 'The Phantom Menace', the 88 second teaser is expected to show very little action, but focus on portraits of lead characters. While the studio have only announced the teaser will show in select U.S. theatres, the online release can't be far away - JJ Abrams will be keen for fans to see a good quality HD version, rather than the inevitable cam jobs.
'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' opens worldwide on December 18th, 2015.
The fourth 'Jurassic Park' might not be released until June next year, and the first teaser trailer until later this week, but that hasn't stopped the glorious marketeers at Universal Studios from giving die-hard fans desperate enough for the first look at the film, by releasing a teaser for the teaser trailer. Yes. You read that right.
The 10 second clip below gives a fleeting, but tantalising glimpse at the iconic park gates, upgraded to a monorail above a lake, a stampeding Gallimimus tour, and portraits of stars Chris Pratt and Bryce Dalls Howard to a slow, haunting piano rendition of the familiar 'Jurassic Park' theme.
'Jurassic World', the first 'Jurassic Park' sequel 14 years is directed by franchise newcomer Colin Trevorrow and marks a bold new direction for franchise. The full teaser is released at midday on Friday, Australian time here.
Sony Pictures announced in 2012 - with great fanfare - they had secured the rights to Walter Isaacson's spectacular and award winning autobiography 'Steve Jobs' and have tried for a number of years to get the film into production, recently courting Christian Bale and Seth Rogen for lead roles, before the former dropped out soon thereafter.
Now, Sony Pictures has dropped the film altogether, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Now in turn-around, producers are open to ship the project around to rival studios, with Universal said to be interested. Universal previously distributed the 2013 Steve Jobs biopic, which starred Ashton Kutcher.
'Steve Jobs' now has an uncertain future, with a small production window before director Danny Boyle is needed on another film.
Rather than move closer to the classic 'Alien' franchise, it looks like the forthcoming sequel to 2012's 'Prometheus' will detach even further from the world of the world established in his 1979 original, even if the the ending for the first film gave fans a hint that a precursor to the Xenomorph was now on the loose.
Speaking to News Corporation's The Australian newspaper, director Ridley Scott has confirmed that we won't be seeing any Xenomorphs (Dragons) when the sequel hits screens, expected in 2016.
[It's] getting away from gods and dragons and shit. If I see one more dragon I'm going to shoot myself. Stop the dragons... with Prometheus 2, what I'm trying to do is reintroduce a fresher form of alien in the third act
Scott hasn't given an update on a firm release date for the film, the previously announced March 2016 date looks like it will get bumped back to later in the year, as production is not due to begin until the end of 2015. Star Noomi Rapace is set to return, as is Michael Fassbender.