Architecture behind the 600i Series
Before we take a look at our first 600i series board, we want to have a look at the three chipsets that nVidia has in its line-up for the Intel platform. They are labelled at 680i at high-end, 650i SLI at the mid range and at the more mainstream end, the 650 Ultra.
Here we have the block diagrams for all chipsets - they share a lot of the features with minor differences between each variant. Our focus today is the 680i chipset.
The 680i is aimed at the enthusiasts with a lot of detail going into the chipset. nVidia has changed the way we overclock on this chipset by allowing Asynchronous bus overclocking of not just the CPU from the PCI-E and PCI but all buses. On a 680i motherboard, you can set your FSB independently of the memory bus speed, PCI-E, PCI and SATA clock speeds. nVidia attempted this in their nForce 4 Intel Edition chipsets but it didn't work too well - this time nVidia claim to have it working with support up to 1200MHz SLI Ready DDR-2 modules.
SLI also makes its comeback for Intel with the use of the 680i MCP. One of the two full-speed PCI Express x16 slots is routed through the Northbridge or SPP. The second PCI Express x16 slot resides on the MCP, like it has done with the 590 AMD series chipset. Hyper Transport links at 2000MHz connect the SPP to the MCP so there is no worry about a shortage of bandwidth for communication. Link boost technology also makes sure you get even more out of your SLI setup.
When you have two graphics cards in SLI, the SPP to MCP link is overclocked by 25% as well as the SPP PCI Express x16 and MCP PCI Express x16 lanes. This ensures that there is enough bandwidth to keep your SLI rig happy and provide a handy performance boost.
The 680i SPP contains two additional PCI Express lanes that can be used by expansion cards or on motherboard PCI Express chips such as additional RAID controllers with the MCP supporting four PCI Express x1 lanes for general use - in all, it is more than you will ever need at this stage of the game.
The 680i MCP has an additional 8 PCI Express lanes that are routed to a third PCI Express x16 slot. This is used to add an extra PCI Express graphics card for multiple monitor support or upcoming nVidia physics engine or even high-speed RAID controllers, for example.
Regarding media expansion, the 680i really has it all. nVidia has played down the IDE setup now (like Intel) with only a single IDE channel for two parallel ATA drives. The SATA ports are now expanded to 6 that are controlled by the MCP. These SATA ports can be configured into a large RAID array depending on your needs. Natively the 680i MCP supports nVidia Dual Net technology with two Gigabit Ethernet controllers integrated to the system supporting Fast packet and TCP/IP acceleration for faster interface with the LAN as well as lower CPU utilisation.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [nForce 600i Architecture]
- Page 3 [Testing Motherboard - Package and Features]
- Page 4 [Testing Motherboard - In the Flesh]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dead Rising 4 shambles to Steam in March
- New Call of Duty returns to 'boots on the ground' roots
- Nintendo Switch requires day one update to access eShop
- Nintendo Switch has no Virtual Console games at launch
- Apple new headquarters is ready for April's opening
- توكيل صيانة ثلاجة كريازى 01093055835 رقم مبيعات كري&
- صور صيانة غسالات وستنجهاوس 01060037840 % رقم مبيعات و
- اخبار صيانة غسالة فريجيدير 01095999314 اتصل الان مب&
- هنا صيانة كلفينيتور العجمى 01010916814 هوت لاين الم&
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Nintendo eShop, Indie Games Ready for Nintendo Switch Launch
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording