It seems that nVidia has not only learnt about its mistakes in the 590 SLI Intel chipsets but managed to fix them in some pretty quick time.
590 SLI was talked about for months but the new nForce 680i took half the time from production to market - most possibly because half the technology was already available, the MCP 590 just got a rename to MCP 680 as only a new Northbridge or SPP had to be fabricated.
nVidia has in reality made a very good start to its overclocking campaign and with so many enthusiasts out there with phase change, water cooling and even LN2 rigs floating around, we can clearly foresee some records being completely shattered with a 680i motherboard, Core 2 Extreme Quad Core processor and a pair of GeForce 8800GTX graphics cards in SLI mode.
For eVGA's part in the process, the motherboard worked perfectly - no glitches, no bugs and no random reboots and BSOD's apart from the normal and well excepted errors when we overclock too much, but we never learn that lesson here.
Overall we cannot get enough of this chipset and look forward to seeing what some of the other companies start coming out with this new chipset from nVidia. It's clearly a chipset designed for enthusiasts and we think nVidia has done a very good job.
Supports all Core 2 processors
More stable than 590SLI Intel
Overclocks better than any other Core 2 chipset to date
Dual Gigabit LAN with bridging for 2Gbps function
Third Graphics slot for Physics engine
Water cooling users not forgotten
Unlinked CPU FSB and RAM overclocking
No additional SATA controllers or e.SATA ports
Expensive but other 680i boards will be even more expensive
- Latest Pricing
Rating - 9.5 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Performance Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [nForce 600i Architecture]
- Page 3 [Testing Motherboard - Package and Features]
- Page 4 [Testing Motherboard - In the Flesh]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PREY]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- We are looking for a professional YouTuber for video content
- Digitize Photos, Important Files, and More in 8 Seconds
- We are looking for a US-based news reporter, join our awesome team!
- How Fallout 4's perk system might work
- The fully-optioned Tesla Model X electric SUV costs a huge $143,750
- Seagate Backup Plus STDA4000100 4TB External Portable HDD Review
- GA-Z97X Gaming 7 + Samsung SM951 256 gb
- SanDisk Connect Stick 64GB Wireless Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R doesn't boot with Dual Channel (After Clean PC)
- carvedilol 3.125 mg information. Purchase online.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015