Test System Setup
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (Supplied by Intel)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P965-DQ6 (Supplied by Gigabyte)
Memory: 2x 1GB DDR2-1066 Corsair (Supplied by Corsair)
Hard Disk: 500GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA (Supplied by Seagate)
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 7800GT
Cooling: Gigabyte Neon775 (Supplied by Gigabyte)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
Drivers: Intel INF 184.108.40.2062, nVidia ForceWare 91.31 and DX9c
Our test system setup comprised of the new Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU. This processor allows us to freely adjust the CPU multiplier to any division we want which allows us to have a much better control of the CPU core clock than the Core 2 Duo series.
First we ran the memory at DDR2-667 speeds with SPD timings and then we tightened the timings up to lower CAS latencies to give the memory a more aggressive profile. We then set the memory to DDR2-800 speeds and returned the CAS timings to SPD to allow them to slacken off and recorded the difference in speed that the system reported. At all times the CPU clock speed was at 2.93GHz - we only changed the memory clock speeds and SPD. SPD was 5-5-5-15 and tight timings were 4-4-4-12.
The aim of our testing here today is to find out if you need more bandwidth (higher clock speeds) or if reducing the latency with slower memory will do the same job. What does the new Conroe processors like? Let's take a look!
Version and / or Patch Used: 2007
Developer Homepage: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk
Product Homepage: http://sisoftware.jaggedonline.com/index.php?location=home&a=TTA&lang=en
SiSoft Sandra (System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) is a synthetic Windows benchmark that features different tests used to evaluate different PC subsystems.
The amount of bandwidth increases when switching from DDR-2 667 to 800. When running lower timings at 667 there is little difference between the 667 results.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [DDR-2 and how it differs from DDR]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Scientists think they've received signals from aliens
- Intel's new Atom processor is a step closer to Skynet
- Google pauses its Fiber rollout, fires 9% of Fiber staff
- WikiLeaks: Apple gives customers' data to governments
- ZOTAC has your back with GTX 1070-powered VR GO backpack
- Battlefield 1: War Stories Review
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software
- Lenovo debuts commercial desktops and notebooks featuring 7th generation AMD PRO processors
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards