Test System Setup
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (Supplied by Intel)
Motherboard: Gigabyte P965-DQ6 (Supplied by Gigabyte)
Memory: 2x 1GB DDR2-1066 Corsair (Supplied by Corsair)
Hard Disk: 500GB Seagate 7200.9 SATA (Supplied by Seagate)
Graphics Card: nVidia GeForce 7800GT
Cooling: Gigabyte Neon775 (Supplied by Gigabyte)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
Drivers: Intel INF 22.214.171.1242, nVidia ForceWare 91.31 and DX9c
Our test system setup comprised of the new Intel Core 2 Extreme CPU. This processor allows us to freely adjust the CPU multiplier to any division we want which allows us to have a much better control of the CPU core clock than the Core 2 Duo series.
First we ran the memory at DDR2-667 speeds with SPD timings and then we tightened the timings up to lower CAS latencies to give the memory a more aggressive profile. We then set the memory to DDR2-800 speeds and returned the CAS timings to SPD to allow them to slacken off and recorded the difference in speed that the system reported. At all times the CPU clock speed was at 2.93GHz - we only changed the memory clock speeds and SPD. SPD was 5-5-5-15 and tight timings were 4-4-4-12.
The aim of our testing here today is to find out if you need more bandwidth (higher clock speeds) or if reducing the latency with slower memory will do the same job. What does the new Conroe processors like? Let's take a look!
Version and / or Patch Used: 2007
Developer Homepage: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk
Product Homepage: http://sisoftware.jaggedonline.com/index.php?location=home&a=TTA&lang=en
SiSoft Sandra (System ANalyser, Diagnostic and Reporting Assistant) is a synthetic Windows benchmark that features different tests used to evaluate different PC subsystems.
The amount of bandwidth increases when switching from DDR-2 667 to 800. When running lower timings at 667 there is little difference between the 667 results.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [DDR-2 and how it differs from DDR]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei and Leica establish new R&D center for VR and AR
- How you can become a hacker's worst nightmare
- Snapchat announces sunglasses with a built-in camera
- How to build dynamic web apps with Angular JS
- Samsung Galaxy S8 rumored to rock a 4K display
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- asrock fatality h170 performance red light on bios and not monitor output no beeps
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now