DDR-2 is simply the next step up for the DDR platform and it's clear to see speeds are now scaling beyond that of the aging standard. While it was great in its day, DDR cannot provide the raw bandwidth that today's hungry processors crave - that's where DDR-2 comes in, and our tests today showed us some amazing results.
Corsair was extremely impressive, not only did it manage to give us some great clock speeds but (at least from our research in the Australian market) its pricing is extremely competitive for such high clocked memory. OCZ clearly is another great choice for speed and even a good price range, considering OCZ in the past has been some of the more expansive RAM modules on the market. G.Skill memory while not able to overclock as high was running more impressive SPD timings and it's clear that tight timings are also important when it comes to performance.
SyncMAX, TwinMOS and A-DATA we also have to give some credit to, as these modules simply performed quite well for their price and performance bracket they fell into. Super Talent did a good job of performance but still wasn't exactly what we were fully hoping for. Our real disappointment was the Kingston HyperX which we found to be the least performing memory, though we didn't have Core 2 to test the RAM on at the time, maybe it simply isn't the right companion for the AM2 platform.
One of the big surprises was the Team Xtreem memory which managed to offer some very solid performance - we're looking forward to testing more Team memory in the future. We hope this article has provided you with a good guide on which DDR-2 memory to choose.
During our testing new RAM has been released and we'll be providing individual reviews of this memory soon.
Corsair Rating - 9.5 out of 10
and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Editors Choice
OCZ Rating - 8.5 out of 10
G.Skill Rating - 8.5 out of 10
Kingston Rating - 6.5 out of 10
A-DATA Rating -: 8 out of 10
Team Rating - 9 out of 10
and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Value Award
SyncMAX Rating - 7.5 out of 10
TwinMOS Rating - 7.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Modules - Corsair and G.Skill]
- Page 3 [The Modules - OCZ and Super Talent]
- Page 4 [The Modules - Kingston and A-DATA]
- Page 5 [The Modules - SyncMAX and Team Group]
- Page 6 [The Modules - TwinMOS]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Star Wars: Battlefront beta hits in October, features 20v20 chaos
- Get Ahead of the iOS 9 Curve: Create Your Own iPhone Apps
- NVIDIA secures 81% of the GPU market according to JPR
- eSports betting startup Unikrn gets backed by Ashton Kutcher
- Naughty Dog announces March 18, 2016 release for Uncharted 4 on PS4
- Im happy I now signed up
- ASUSTOR AS5004T Four-Bay Consumer NAS Review
- Gigabyte G1 z170 Gaming 7 motherboard.
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20