Overclocking the older Pentium 4 series of processors, especially Prescott, Presler and Ceder Mill based cores was a timely experience resulting in a huge power draw off the PSU and extreme amounts of heat being generated by the processor - either loud air cooling solutions or expensive water cooling rigs were required to keep them operating properly.
Core 2 is simply the answer to all our processor prayers. Not only does Core 2 show a good overclocking curve, even from these early samples we have, but the amount of heat generated per MHz over its default is less than half of what the Pentium 4 generated. Adding to that the reduction in the amount of wattage the processor needs to pull from the PSU to do its job results in a quieter and cooler system.
Core 2 Duo definitely is the more affordable option in the processor realm from Intel and presents good overclocking value. If you want full control over your overclocking which will at the end of the day result in a higher overclock, Core 2 Extreme with its unlocked multipliers, higher starting clocks and higher overclocking ability makes more sense as you can go for a higher bus speed with memory running in a 1:1 ratio to give an overall system boost or simply go for the MHz race and get as much out of the processor to be the king of the hill.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [About Core 2 Processors]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Super PI]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PI Fast]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- Fable Legends will use foliage physics to increase visual fidelity
- AMD: GPUOpen could be used for smartphone, tablet graphics
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- Help with N56VB notebook screen
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform