Overclocking the older Pentium 4 series of processors, especially Prescott, Presler and Ceder Mill based cores was a timely experience resulting in a huge power draw off the PSU and extreme amounts of heat being generated by the processor - either loud air cooling solutions or expensive water cooling rigs were required to keep them operating properly.
Core 2 is simply the answer to all our processor prayers. Not only does Core 2 show a good overclocking curve, even from these early samples we have, but the amount of heat generated per MHz over its default is less than half of what the Pentium 4 generated. Adding to that the reduction in the amount of wattage the processor needs to pull from the PSU to do its job results in a quieter and cooler system.
Core 2 Duo definitely is the more affordable option in the processor realm from Intel and presents good overclocking value. If you want full control over your overclocking which will at the end of the day result in a higher overclock, Core 2 Extreme with its unlocked multipliers, higher starting clocks and higher overclocking ability makes more sense as you can go for a higher bus speed with memory running in a 1:1 ratio to give an overall system boost or simply go for the MHz race and get as much out of the processor to be the king of the hill.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [About Core 2 Processors]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Overclocking]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Super PI]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PI Fast]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Google Pixel 2 revealed in a new leak
- Hands-on Meizu Pro 7 photo shows secondary display
- BioWare dev confirms new Dragon Age game in development
- Qualcomm unveils Snapdragon 450
- Xiaomi Redmi Pro 2 specs leak: Dual camera, 3GB of RAM
- BIOSTAR X370GTN Gaming Motherboard Review
- Intel Optane in RAID 0 - World's Fastest System Disk
- GIGABYTE Z270X-Designare Motherboard Review
- Intel SSD 5 545s 512GB SATA III SSD Review
- AMD launches the world's fastest graphics card for machine learning development and advanced visualization workloads, Radeon Vega Frontier Edition, available now
- Toshiba develops world's first QLC BiCS FLASH 3D memory with 4-Bit-Per-Cell technology
- Logitech Circle 2 will be compatible with Amazon Echo Show
- Synology introduces DiskStation DS1517 and DS1817
- Deep Silver and 4A Games are proud to announce Metro Exodus