And just when you thought that DRM sounded worrying enough, DTCP-IP enters the fray. Not only are providers poised to use DRM to their economic advantage, BUT they're concerned that streaming that protected content across the airwaves will expose it, allowing potential interception by a non-DRM protected device.
So DTCP-IP (Digital Transmission Content Protection over Internet Protocol) will be used as a communications catalyst. It uses 128-bit SSL encryption to ensure that media content streamed out from a Viiv box is protected. It leverages off TCP/IP but it's not restricted to any particular physical medium - wired or wireless is fine.
However, and this is the killer, DTCP-IP reinforces the DRM model. It's not just an innocent bystander. To stream using DTCP-IP, you have to have devices capable of receiving it AND you have to be streaming content written to comply with the DTCP-IP standards. The most popular music store on the internet, iTunes, does not provide DTCP-IP-compliant content.
So, buy yourself a Viiv machine, and you're locked out of iTunes.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Viiv under the Hood - Hardware]
- Page 3 [Viiv under the Hood - Software]
- Page 4 [Digital Rights Management (DRM)]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD Ryzen 7 1800X hits #1 best-selling CPUs on Amazon
- AMD breaking world records with Ryzen 7 1800X already
- 'Rogue One' Blu-ray announced, extras detailed
- I want one: AMD Ryzen CPU review kit looks AMAZING
- NVIDIA to reveal GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on February 28
- ASUS MAXIMUS IX FORMULA A2 Error Code with Hardware Component Failure Beeps
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood