And just when you thought that DRM sounded worrying enough, DTCP-IP enters the fray. Not only are providers poised to use DRM to their economic advantage, BUT they're concerned that streaming that protected content across the airwaves will expose it, allowing potential interception by a non-DRM protected device.
So DTCP-IP (Digital Transmission Content Protection over Internet Protocol) will be used as a communications catalyst. It uses 128-bit SSL encryption to ensure that media content streamed out from a Viiv box is protected. It leverages off TCP/IP but it's not restricted to any particular physical medium - wired or wireless is fine.
However, and this is the killer, DTCP-IP reinforces the DRM model. It's not just an innocent bystander. To stream using DTCP-IP, you have to have devices capable of receiving it AND you have to be streaming content written to comply with the DTCP-IP standards. The most popular music store on the internet, iTunes, does not provide DTCP-IP-compliant content.
So, buy yourself a Viiv machine, and you're locked out of iTunes.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Viiv under the Hood - Hardware]
- Page 3 [Viiv under the Hood - Software]
- Page 4 [Digital Rights Management (DRM)]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Become a certified Microsoft Office expert with this bundle
- See the cancelled Legacy of Kain game in action
- Ready At Dawn's new AAA action game to be revealed next week
- Here's everything we know about Ghost Recon Wildlands
- New map, competitive ranking system arrive for Insurgency
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Asus S300CA screen flickering/stripes
- Asrock MB front HD audio doesn't work (rear works)
- Colorful introduces first custom GTX1080: Colorful iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G
- CybertronPC offers new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics on all desktops
- Inno3D announces new GeForce GTX 1080 video cards
- Samsung Electronics expands 750 EVO SSD with worldwide availability and increases capacity to 500GB
- Free public gamer event E3 Live to debut in Los Angeles