And just when you thought that DRM sounded worrying enough, DTCP-IP enters the fray. Not only are providers poised to use DRM to their economic advantage, BUT they're concerned that streaming that protected content across the airwaves will expose it, allowing potential interception by a non-DRM protected device.
So DTCP-IP (Digital Transmission Content Protection over Internet Protocol) will be used as a communications catalyst. It uses 128-bit SSL encryption to ensure that media content streamed out from a Viiv box is protected. It leverages off TCP/IP but it's not restricted to any particular physical medium - wired or wireless is fine.
However, and this is the killer, DTCP-IP reinforces the DRM model. It's not just an innocent bystander. To stream using DTCP-IP, you have to have devices capable of receiving it AND you have to be streaming content written to comply with the DTCP-IP standards. The most popular music store on the internet, iTunes, does not provide DTCP-IP-compliant content.
So, buy yourself a Viiv machine, and you're locked out of iTunes.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Viiv under the Hood - Hardware]
- Page 3 [Viiv under the Hood - Software]
- Page 4 [Digital Rights Management (DRM)]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Disney developing 'Rocketeer' sequel
- Free multiplayer modes coming to Doom tomorrrow, Deathmatch later on
- EA's Origin client is getting a new look, currently in beta
- Unlock new career paths with an in-demand tech certification
- Nintendo successfully patents external console upgrade box
- Antec GX505 Window SC Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- PW-IE20AH51T0 compatible with PC-G70 ?
- D-Link DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Asrock z77 Extreme 6 Ram Overclocking Stuck at 2000mhz
- MDD BP5e 480GB M.2 SATA III SSD Review
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio