Today we were invited to the Gigabyte headquarters here in Taipei, Taiwan to take a hands-on look at one of their special new motherboards which will use AMD's upcoming AM2 (formerly Socket M2) processor socket. The motherboard in question is the K8NDSLI Pro-RH that is based on an nVidia chipset, which is much the same as the current nForce4 SLI chipset.
AMD will launch its new 940-pin AM2 Athlon processors and platform on June 6th of this year during Computex. The new platform for AMD finally brings DDR-2 memory support to the Athlon family of processors. Besides the addition of DDR-2 support through the on-die memory controller, there is nothing much new about the processor, at least from what we were told by Gigabyte. As well as a bunch of new Athlon processors being ready at launch, Gigabyte will also have top-to-bottom motherboard solutions available.
AMD didn't actually need a new socket to bring DDR-2 support into the equation however to avoid consumer confusion (using the wrong CPU on the wrong motherboard), AMD decided to modify the socket. Even though the socket has 940 pins, you won't be able to use current Opteron processors on the new motherboards since the pin layout has been changed - so don't try!
The pictures you are about to see are of a motherboard which is a "dummy", meaning it doesn't work and it is still very much a prototype, as the Chinese characters indicate in this article's icon at the top (and no I cannot read Chinese characters, yet!). Gigabyte told us that the motherboard is going to go through a lot of changes (extra features) and maybe layout changes, but at least you have an idea of what AMD's Socket AM2 motherboards will look like in this single chipset solution.
Being based on an nVidia chipset, you'll get the usual SLI dual graphics support along with all the Gigabyte usual features such as DPS, plenty of SATA ports, Dual LAN and Dual BIOS. One new feature of the nVidia chipset is HD Audio over standard AC'97 audio. HD Audio is a requirement of the Windows Vista program, hence the reason why nVidia included HD Audio in their core logic this time around and no doubt in all other future chipsets.
Without further ado, here are a bunch of photos we took today still fresh from coming off the compact flash card. Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take any photos of the CPU itself nor the cooler but it seems like AMD is well on track with this new platform as Gigabyte told us they were testing the CPU up stairs, presumably in preparation for CeBIT.
Right of Reply
We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples to express their opinion of our content and thoughts. If any company representative of this product wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Further Reading: Read and find more Motherboards content at our Motherboards reviews, guides and articles index page.
Do you get our RSS feed? Get It!
Post a Comment about this content
Motherboards News Posts
- ASRock shows off Dual Band Wi-Fi 802.11ac and Waterproof Conformal Coating on Intel 8-Series motherboards
- ECS unveils Intel 8-Series motherboards in three flavors of goodness
- ASRock's Z87 Extreme9/ac is first Intel 8 Series motherboard to receive Thunderbolt certification
- ASRock demos new HDMI input on new 8 Series Intel motherboards
- ASRock's Z87 motherboard series gets unveiled, some boards will feature 802.11ac Wi-Fi
- Gigabyte's Z87X-UD3H smiles for the camera, Haswell is getting close!
- Take a look at the UEFI DualBIOS on Gigabyte's new Haswell motherboard
- ASRock launches microsite to tease us about its upcoming Intel 8 Series motherboards
- A closer look at Gigabyte's hot-as-hell Z87 G1-Killer Haswell-based motherboard
- Gigabyte's next-gen Z87 G1-Killer motherboard teased
TweakTown Web PollQuestion: What new stuff are you most excited to see at Computex Taipei 2013?View More Polls
- Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season Three (1989) Blu-ray Review
- Best BIOS Gigabyte Z77-D3H
- Asrock z68 pro3 gen3 motherboard USB3.0 problem
- Number lock and mouse issues
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012) Blu-ray Movie Review
Motherboards Press Releases
- ASRock Promises Improved WiFi with A-Style: 2T2R Dual Band 802.11ac WiFi + Bluetooth v4.0
- ASUS Unveils Full Range of Z87 Motherboards- With Photos on the new design
- MSI MS-98D1 EPIC IPC Motherboard Announced
- Advantech Launches ATX Intel Xeon E5 Industrial Serverboard
- ASRock Brings New Technology to Light! A-Style: Purity Sound