- Corsair XMS-3500LL PRO
A brief rundown
Looks wise the latest Corsair memory is no different from the other modules that sit in the PRO line up. The LED activity lights found on the top of the module, while cool looking, aren't all that useful to most people but still it's a unique selling feature which may well convince people to go with Corsair over another brand while looking in computer stores.
Corsair and ASUS have worked together to make this module the "Must Have" item for users of the A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard. The kit consists of 2 x 1GB modules that utilize an aggressive setup of 433MHz (PC3500) with the timing set at 2-3-2-6 which some people might not think is the best but as soon as we add the fact that these also support 1T at this speed, the modules are excellent for mild overclockers.
Overclocking the XMS-3500LL PRO
The general rule of thumb is that 1GB modules will not overclock as well as 512MB modules. When it comes to overclocking memory you can be there for literally weeks trying to find exactly the right settings, so when it came to overclocking these modules we used the stock timings of the OCZ PC3700 Gold Edition Rev 3 modules as a guide.
Utilizing the timings 2.5-3-3-8 with the 2T command rate we were able to achieve a maximum of 257MHz (or 514MHz DDR) @ 2.8V. The stock speed on these modules are 218MHz so an increase to 257MHz is fantastic and there is no doubt in our heads that there is a little bit more head room there, especially if you want to spend hours and hours tinkering for the highest overclock.
- OCZ PC3700 Gold Edition Rev 3
A brief rundown
The OCZ are the more astatically pleasing model as there is no denying they are one set of sexy looking modules. There isn't a lot to say about the OCZ memory, it doesn't have any fancy LEDs on it and it hasn't partnered with anybody making it a lethal combination with a particular motherboard. They are just a set of cool looking high speed modules.
The OCZ memory comes at a higher clocked 466MHz but does come at the cost of timings. While Corsair uses the very aggressive 2-3-2-6 timings at 433MHz, OCZ relax them out to 2.5-3-3-8 to achieve the higher front side bus.
Overclocking the OCZ PC3700 Gold Edition Rev 3
When it came to overclocking we didn't have to adjust the timings because we wanted to find what the maximum front side bus was at these timings against the Corsair memory.
We really did expect them to perform a fair bit better then the Corsair because the OCZ sticks are rated 33MHz DDR higher at stock speeds then the Corsair and while we didn't think this would all carry over to the maximum overclock, we did expect a bit more then the 6MHz DDR (higher than the Corsair memory) which we did get.
The OCZ PC3700 modules a maximum overclock of 263MHz FSB or 526MHz DDR. This is a nice 30MHz increase from the standard 233MHz. While this isn't as major increase, it is a healthy one none the less.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Memory]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 9 [The Answers and Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Apple's upcoming 21.5-inch iMac should feature a 4K display
- ASUS unveils a new super-powered gaming notebook that is watercooled
- Every single Deus Ex game can be purchased for under $7 right now
- Forza Motorsport 6 launch trailer is here, 1080p 60FPS on the Xbox One
- 6S Marketing hopes Apple names new phone the iPhone 7, not iPhone 6s
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- How can you find updated drivers like people post to this site all the time?
- Are these the same?
- Really Need help with Asmedia SATA Bios/Drivers settings
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015