There we have it, another month and another set of drivers for us to look at. It would seem that the biggest emphasis on this driver release was performance particular for OpenGL. We think that ATI have mainly concentrated on the new flagship Radeon X1800XT this month but in the mean time the higher and mid range cards both get a noticeable performance increase in games like Doom 3 and Quake 4.
There is no denying that OpenGL has always been one of ATI's weakest points but it is fantastic to see that they have stuck their heads together and figured out how to get more performance from games.
If you're only playing F.E.A.R. at the moment, upgrade anyway for the list of bug fixes that come with each new driver release and if you're playing anything that utilizes OpenGL, upgrade for more performance. All in all we have a great driver this time around and it does make writing so much easier when we start gaining a few FPS here and there in games. After all, it comes back to "free performance" and of course we don't have to tell you how much we love it.
The next big thing we want to see is better support for Dual Core processors, so come on ATI give us some more FPS and make nVidia sweat a bit more!
Editor Note: Later today we're talking about the new Catalyst drivers again in an article which will look fully at performance with the new X1800XT - make sure you check on the front page for the link.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft's Continuum turns Lumia 950s into mobile PC's
- Ubisoft announces Far Cry Primal set in Stone Age, coming 2016
- KitGuru editor in chief apologizes for 'inflammatory' AMD article
- Intel Battery Optimizer Android app now cleans, too
- Assassin's Creed, Rainbow Six next in GeForce GTX bundles
- PhotoFast i-FlashDrive MAX 32GB USB iOS Flash Drive Review
- SSI EEB support for Lian Li high end chassis
- Need help with a build
- Force M7 Thor Mouse does not wake system?
- Topic: X99E-ITX/ac with 32GB ram
- The Crew WILD RUN PC CLOSED BETA WILL BE PLAYABLE FROM OCTOBER 15TH TO OCTOBER 19TH 2015
- MLG Announces Broadcast Talent for World Finals in New Orleans
- Patriot Announces New Viper 4 3600MHz Dual-Channel Memory Kit
- Supermicro Launches New 1U TwinPro Fully Redundant, Dual DP Node, SuperServer
- AMD Partners with Oculus and Dell to Power Oculus Ready PCs