There we have it, another month and another set of drivers for us to look at. It would seem that the biggest emphasis on this driver release was performance particular for OpenGL. We think that ATI have mainly concentrated on the new flagship Radeon X1800XT this month but in the mean time the higher and mid range cards both get a noticeable performance increase in games like Doom 3 and Quake 4.
There is no denying that OpenGL has always been one of ATI's weakest points but it is fantastic to see that they have stuck their heads together and figured out how to get more performance from games.
If you're only playing F.E.A.R. at the moment, upgrade anyway for the list of bug fixes that come with each new driver release and if you're playing anything that utilizes OpenGL, upgrade for more performance. All in all we have a great driver this time around and it does make writing so much easier when we start gaining a few FPS here and there in games. After all, it comes back to "free performance" and of course we don't have to tell you how much we love it.
The next big thing we want to see is better support for Dual Core processors, so come on ATI give us some more FPS and make nVidia sweat a bit more!
Editor Note: Later today we're talking about the new Catalyst drivers again in an article which will look fully at performance with the new X1800XT - make sure you check on the front page for the link.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Our 'Guardians' giveaway is out of this Galaxy!
- Path of Exile launches August 24 on Xbox One
- Mass Effect: Andromeda singleplayer is dead
- Nintendo should have big Switch stockpile for holidays
- Flash shortage may last throughout 2018
- Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets Movie Review
- Looking for Lian Li PC-C37 pdf manual as links from Lian Li website are broken
- Aerocool Project 7 P7-C1 Pro Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 Wireless Gaming Router Review
- corsair vengeance lpx 16gb ddr4-2400 problem on asus x370 pro motherboard
- Optimize system performance with new drive adapter
- Lian Li reveals new PC-Q39 tempered glass Mini-ITX tower
- Longsys' world-first 11.5x13mm NVMe BGA SSD drives new mobile user experience
- Thermaltake attends NVIDIA Gamer Connect
- ASRock introduces the X10 IoT router for smart homes