We don't have anything huge on our hands but it is interesting to see that the WHQL driver that was provided by Sapphire does give us a slight jump in performance. What this mainly tells us though is that there is going to be some performance there for future driver releases which will keep us on our toes.
We found that with the non-WHQL driver installed, Doom 3 was unable to benchmark when AA and AF was enabled but had absolutely no problems running at these settings on the X1800XT.
We are really looking forward to the release of the Catalyst 5.11 drivers and it's safe to say that nobody should be writing ATI out of the graphic card books just yet as we don't doubt they aren't going to put a fight up. While nVidia's latest driver sees a very good performance jump on our Dual Core system, it still isn't an official driver and their current official driver is dated more then six weeks ago with still a few weeks to the release 80 series comes out.
If you have purchased an X1800XL already and want to make sure you have the latest driver you can simply enter Catalyst Control Center, go to View and click advanced view and make your way to the information center. The particular part you are looking for is the Driver Packaging Version and the particular one we are after is 188.8.131.52-050921a-027133C otherwise wait till ATI officially release the next set of Catalyst drivers in two or three weeks time.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Half Life 2]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- No Man's Sky officially delayed until August, for VR support?
- GIGABYTE announces its GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING video card
- MSI's GeForce GTX 1080 feature new Twin Frozr VI cooling technology
- Palit unveils their new GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock video card
- ZOTAC launches its new GeForce GTX 1080 video cards
- Asrock 3-Way 2S2S SLI Bridge Card
- Amped Wireless Athena AC2600 RTA2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Router Review
- ASRock 990FX Extreme9 IPMI Module?
- Tweak Launcher dont work with x99-sli mobo
- SanDisk X400 1TB SATA III SSD Review
- Colorful introduces first custom GTX1080: Colorful iGameGTX1080 X-TOP-8G
- CybertronPC offers new NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics on all desktops
- Inno3D announces new GeForce GTX 1080 video cards
- Samsung Electronics expands 750 EVO SSD with worldwide availability and increases capacity to 500GB
- Free public gamer event E3 Live to debut in Los Angeles