We don't have anything huge on our hands but it is interesting to see that the WHQL driver that was provided by Sapphire does give us a slight jump in performance. What this mainly tells us though is that there is going to be some performance there for future driver releases which will keep us on our toes.
We found that with the non-WHQL driver installed, Doom 3 was unable to benchmark when AA and AF was enabled but had absolutely no problems running at these settings on the X1800XT.
We are really looking forward to the release of the Catalyst 5.11 drivers and it's safe to say that nobody should be writing ATI out of the graphic card books just yet as we don't doubt they aren't going to put a fight up. While nVidia's latest driver sees a very good performance jump on our Dual Core system, it still isn't an official driver and their current official driver is dated more then six weeks ago with still a few weeks to the release 80 series comes out.
If you have purchased an X1800XL already and want to make sure you have the latest driver you can simply enter Catalyst Control Center, go to View and click advanced view and make your way to the information center. The particular part you are looking for is the Driver Packaging Version and the particular one we are after is 18.104.22.168-050921a-027133C otherwise wait till ATI officially release the next set of Catalyst drivers in two or three weeks time.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Half Life 2]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Valve partners with Bitpay, with Bitcoin support now on Steam
- Intel no longer defines itself as a PC company, thinking more broadly
- Weekly Giveaway: Win a ZOTAC SONIX PCIe 480GB SSD (Global Entry!)
- Facebook, Messenger, Instagram apps debut on Windows 10
- Fallout 4 Steam patch adds Survival difficulty, improves performance
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- Thecus N5810 Consumer NAS Review
- Cold double post on Z77X-UD5H
- Lian Li PC-X510 question about resonance sound
- 1MORE Swarovski Crystal Piston Earphones Review
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched