Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Motherboard(s): ASUS A8N SLI Premium and A8N32 SLI Deluxe (Supplied by ASUS)
Graphics Card(s): 2 X ASUS GeForce 7800 GTX in SLI (Supplied by ASUS)
Memory: 2 X 512MB Mushkin PC4000 DDR (Supplied by Mushkin)
Hard Disk(s): WD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA (Supplied by Western Digital)
Operating System: Windows XP Professional SP1
Drivers: nVidia Forceware 80.40 and nForce4 AMD Edition 6.66
As we mentioned in the introduction, we are going to be looking at the A8N32-SLI Deluxe against the A8N-SLI Premium which is very similar yet only utilizes a maximum of 16 PCI Express graphics lanes as opposed to the new A8N32-SLI Deluxe that utilizes 32 lanes providing theoretically twice the amount of available bandwidth.
We will be testing the two motherboards in our normal VGA fashion with our normal array of tests at 1024 x 768 and 1600 x 1200 with a couple of ASUS GeForce 7800 GTX cards strapped in. We then begin to put a bit more pressure on the graphics cards via enabling AA and AF at 1600 x 1200 and finally we try and remove a bit of that CPU bottleneck by overclocking our processor.
It is important to remember we are testing a new chipset with relatively new drivers (which will likely be tweaked as per usual for the X16 chipset to increase performance) and a motherboard with a BIOS that will likely see changes and performance improvements over time as we come to expect from any new product.
Reminiscing of the good old days of AGP 4x vs. AGP 8x, it'll be interesting to see what type of performance differences we see between PCI-E 8x and PCI-E 16x in SLI. We didn't see much difference between the two AGP modes back in the day but will we see today?
Version and / or Patch Used: Build 340
Developer Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com
Product Homepage: http://www.futuremark.com/products/3dmark03/
By combining full DX8 and partial DX9 support with completely new tests and graphics over the previous version, 3DMark03 continues the legacy of being the industry standard 3D benchmark.
Please Note: Due to recent events with the 3DMark03 series, we are adding results purely for those who are still in favor of 3DMark03. These results should not be taken too seriously and are only added for interest sakes.
3DMark03 shows that the X16 chipset from nVidia scores slightly lower then the normal SLI chipset which only has 8x pipelines per card.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The new SLI X16 chipset]
- Page 4 [The Package]
- Page 5 [The Features]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & 3DMark03]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - CPU Overclocking]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2' trailer actually looks kinda fun
- Sony developing smart contact lenses with life recording
- Hitman patch lets DirectX 12 users play again
- Apple Music rumored to receive interface overhaul this summer
- Fallout 4's Far Harbor DLC might have underwater exploration
- GA-EX58-UD3R won't post
- Creative iRoar Intelligent Bluetooth Speaker Review
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience