Even with the power of the AMD Athlon X2 and Intel Extreme Edition processors, we still find ourselves hitting a CPU limitation in a lot of our benchmarks. That is, the graphics cards have more performance to give but the processor is letting the team down.
By overclocking the processor we can see what kind of a performance increase we get. When something isn't CPU limited the performance increase isn't all that major but when we do have a CPU bottleneck, every MHz extra we can get can show us an excellent jump in performance.
The Athlon X2 3800+ was increased from 2GHz to 2.35GHz with a slight increase in the front side bus utilizing the stock X2 HSF.
While we don't call our 350MHz jump in speed a huge overclock, it is worth nothing that the A8N32-SLI Deluxe had no problems doing it which is good to know as we did wonder if the extra chip on the motherboard was going to hinder our overclock - which it didn't.
3DMark03 again shows the X16 behind the previous chipset by a few hundred points.
Both resolutions show the newer chipset being a little slower then the original nForce 4 SLI.
It seems that with the processor overclocked to 2.35GHz in our CPU limited benchmark we again see the x16 chipset lagging behind.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The new SLI X16 chipset]
- Page 4 [The Package]
- Page 5 [The Features]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & 3DMark03]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - CPU Overclocking]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Shadow of Mordor sequel optimized for Project Scorpio
- Nintendo Switch will have handheld-only mobile games
- Weekly hardware deals: Jet's extra $30 off GTX 1080
- Samsung introduces Gear VR with Controller
- Nintendo Switch battery lasts 5 hours at max brightness
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- FutureMark reveals new VR and server benchmarking tools
- LG preparing VR HMD
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity