nVidia's nForce 4 SLI X16 is the latest variant of the nForce 4 chipset series to hit the market, offering full speed SLI - that is, two full bandwidth 16 lane PCI Express graphics slots instead of the regular 8 lane slots which we had to sacrifice if we wanted to use SLI.
From what we were told when we were briefed on the SLI X16 chipset a couple months ago, nVidia didn't plan on releasing the new core logic so soon. From what we understand, Dell put a little pressure on nVidia to come up with a full speed SLI solution for use in Dell's new performance PC, the XPS 600 - Dell's first system to use nVidia core logic over Intel. If it wasn't for Dell, we might not have seen this chipset from nVidia for another 12 - 18 months since it's questionable if we even need full speed PCI Express graphics slots at this stage.
Just because there isn't some big NDA or a huge marketing campaign, it doesn't mean we don't want to know about it and thanks to our good friends over at ASUS, we are going to be having a look at their latest motherboard exclusively here at TweakTown.
This article won't be so much of a motherboard review but a direct comparison of the nForce 4 SLI (two 8x PCI Express slots) and nForce 4 SLI X16 (two 16x PCI Express slots in terms of graphics card performance with a pair of GeForce 7800 GTX's.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The new SLI X16 chipset]
- Page 4 [The Package]
- Page 5 [The Features]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & 3DMark03]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - CPU Overclocking]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Microsoft 'couldn't focus' enough in order to make a portable Xbox
- Witcher 3 first person mod released, looking good
- Razer opens up the pre-order floodgates for its OSVR headset
- Samsung reportedly working on higher-end 'Odyssey' VR headset
- Pokemon GO developer asks gamers to stop requesting PokeStops and gyms
- GPU Ugrade killed my NIC
- Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- H110M-HDV bricked after internet flash
- Bad PSU, now bad motherboard?
- GIGABYTE 970-Gaming SLI (AMD 970) Motherboard Review
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio
- G.SKILL announces a major software update for the RIPJAWS KM780 RGB mechanical gaming keyboard