nVidia's nForce 4 SLI X16 is the latest variant of the nForce 4 chipset series to hit the market, offering full speed SLI - that is, two full bandwidth 16 lane PCI Express graphics slots instead of the regular 8 lane slots which we had to sacrifice if we wanted to use SLI.
From what we were told when we were briefed on the SLI X16 chipset a couple months ago, nVidia didn't plan on releasing the new core logic so soon. From what we understand, Dell put a little pressure on nVidia to come up with a full speed SLI solution for use in Dell's new performance PC, the XPS 600 - Dell's first system to use nVidia core logic over Intel. If it wasn't for Dell, we might not have seen this chipset from nVidia for another 12 - 18 months since it's questionable if we even need full speed PCI Express graphics slots at this stage.
Just because there isn't some big NDA or a huge marketing campaign, it doesn't mean we don't want to know about it and thanks to our good friends over at ASUS, we are going to be having a look at their latest motherboard exclusively here at TweakTown.
This article won't be so much of a motherboard review but a direct comparison of the nForce 4 SLI (two 8x PCI Express slots) and nForce 4 SLI X16 (two 16x PCI Express slots in terms of graphics card performance with a pair of GeForce 7800 GTX's.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [The new SLI X16 chipset]
- Page 4 [The Package]
- Page 5 [The Features]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & 3DMark03]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - CPU Overclocking]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild has an awesome physics engine
- Hitman goes HDR on PC, PS4, Xbox One next week
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni