Pushing the memory
Now even though overclocking the processor at sub-zero temperatures is going to fun, we are looking for the best performance from out memory as well. Enter the DFI Lanparty NF4 SLI motherboard. By setting a jumper on the motherboard, it is able to make use of the 5 volt power rail and you can have up to 4 volts available to torture your memory.
One such animal that loves the voltage are the Winbond BH5 based modules. Mine are in the form of the Mushkin Level II Black DDR433 modules. By maintaining the tight and aggressive memory timings of 2-2-2 and applying the volts, these modules can overclock to some insane speeds. They are usually only matched in performance by modules running loser timings and much, much higher frequencies. Personally my modules have reached DDR544 speeds on this motherboard with 2-2-2 timings using about 3.6 to 3.7 volts.
Another important step when applying so many volts to your memory is to keep them adequately cooled using a fan. Even though you can manually setup a fan on your modules, I am using the Zalman FB123 adjustable fan bracket.
Overclocking the beast
Overclocking is never an exact science. It usually requires a lot of trial and error (and BIOS resets) before you find the best settings for your particular system. I was pretty lucky in this case. In less than an hour, settings were found where the memory and CPU were working together at their highest stable levels.
In this case the CPU proved to pass every benchmark thrown at it at a very nice 3.45GHz with the memory running at 265MHz (2-2-2-6).
Now we've covered the setup and overclocking, let's move onto the benchmarks and see what type of performance numbers we get when running the processor 650MHz over default.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 1 [Introduction]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 2 [Cooling Choices and Installation]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 3 [Pushing the memory and Overclocking]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Information]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 6 [Benchmarks - AquaMark 3]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Super PI]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 10 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 12 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- NASA finds 7 Earth-sized planets that could sustain life
- Huawei officially announces Honor V9
- Nintendo unboxes the Nintendo Switch
- NieR: Automata PC release date 'accidentally' revealed
- Nintendo Switch launch game exceeds console's storage
- Does anyone from Thermaltake view this forum anymore?
- Is any one from Thermaltake viewing this forum anymore?
- Lian Li A61 5.25 devices
- Z270 Supercarrier - blackscreen 09/d0, cannot switch to backup BIOS
- E5450 oveclock on EP45-DS3L
- Innovation and competition return to high-performance PCs March 2nd with worldwide AMD Ryzen 7 availability
- Final Fantasy awarded Guinness World Records title for most prolific role-playing game
- InstaVR launches publishing compatibility with HTC VIVE, cnabling companies to create high quality long-form VR video applications
- Transcend announces Ultimate UHS Video Speed Class 30 (V30) microSD cards to support 4K Ultra HD video recording
- Final Fantasy XIV Fan Fest culminates with the journey eastward in Stormblood