On the 27th of June 2005, AMD released their fastest single core processor to date, the Athlon 64 FX-57. Clocked at a whopping 2.8GHz, it is without a doubt the fastest desktop gaming processor on the market today.
It is based on the new 90nm San Diego core and features approximately 114 million transistors. Its thermal rating is 104W and it only requires a low core voltage of 1.35 to 1.40 volts to operate. Its baby brothers based on the Venice core have proven to be champion overclockers already. The Venice cores however have a reduced level 2 cache, whereas the San Diego's have a full 1MB and sometimes a larger level 2 cache can be a limiting factor when it comes to overclocking. However, the larger cache also produces the best results when it comes to benchmarking.
The Athlon 64 FX-57 is an overclocker's dream chip. Unlike regular Athlon 64 processors, it is totally unlocked. This means that the lower as well as the higher range multipliers are available. So for instance, if you are stuck with a motherboard that is not able to achieve a very high Hyper Transport speed, you always have the option of raising the multiplier to increase the clock speed. Even by leaving the Hyper Transport speed at 200MHz, you could raise the multiplier from its default x14 (200 x 14 = 2800 MHz) to say x15 which would give you 3GHz (200x15 = 3000 MHz). And based on numerous reviews online, 3GHz seems to be an average air based overclock for this processor.
Now 3GHz is a very nice clock speed, but there are people who prefer to have a little bit more under their hood than the average Joe. Enter the sub-zero, commercially available extreme cooling solutions i.e. Phase Change cooling.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 1 [Introduction]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 2 [Cooling Choices and Installation]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 3 [Pushing the memory and Overclocking]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Information]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Series]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 6 [Benchmarks - AquaMark 3]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Super PI]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 10 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 12 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- FX-57 Overclocking - Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Entrepreneur voices concerns robots could have on human workforce
- Simplify World Travel With the Twist Plus+ World Charging Station
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's pre-order scheme could change everything
- Ocarina of Time gets an enchanting Unreal Engine 4 makeover
- ASUS unveils the new Poseidon Platinum GTX 980 Ti video card
- ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 support Intel SSD 750 Series
- Saberthooth 990FX gpu passtrough
- asrock x99 extreme 4 extra pins
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 (Intel Z170) Motherboard Review
- ACPI wakeup/shutdown no longer works after UEFI flash.
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015