Phison E7 M.2 and AIC SSDs
At the heart of all of the SSDs on the bench today is Phison's PS5007-11 or E7 quad-core, 8-channel NVMe controller.
Going from top to bottom, we have 960GB, 480GB, and 240GB M.2 SSDs.
Phison labels their M.2 drives on the motherboard side of the drives. This allows for better cooling on the controller side. The drives are labeled as non-OP, but they are actually Over-Provisioned, which is typically how they will be sold on the retail market. The 240GB and 480GB drives are single sided designs, and the 960GB drive is double sided. All of the drives we are testing today feature Toshiba 15nm planar MLC (2bit) flash.
The controller side of the 480GB AIC SSD. This drive features 2MB DRAM per GB of flash. Double the DRAM cache of the M.2 versions, which is why the AIC is a bit faster. Like the M.2 drives, the AIC is labeled as 512GB, but it is actually overprovisioned, resulting in 480GB.
The reverse side of the 480GB AIC.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System, Settings, & Boot Speed Video]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks – CDM & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks – AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Trace-Based) - PCMark Vantage & PCMark 7]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Trace-Based) - PCMark 8]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks – Max IOPS & Disk Response]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Transfer Rate]
- Page 10 [Maxed-Out Performance (MOP)]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo forecasts 10 million Switch sales this year
- Capcom's 2016 financials outline company's future
- Sony shipped about 60 million PS4s
- Next-gen PS4 coming in 2018, analyst predicts
- Acer's new laptop rocks unreleased NVIDIA graphics card
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Lenovo IdeaCentre Y710 Cube Gaming PC Review
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives