OCZ PC-5400 Performance Series
The first set of Dual Channel modules we are taking a look are from OCZ and are part of their Performance Series which come with a copper heat spreader and tight timings compared to cheaper memory in the same range.
I remember the days when OCZ first started with their plain and not terribly exciting memory modules but those days have long gone and OCZ now produce some of the nicest looking modules on the market, in our opinion. The heat spreader isn't light and feels like it will actually help with heat dissipation compared to some other modules which are much lighter. You feel as if you are actually getting something more for your money.
The memory comes in simple retail packaging as you can see from the photo above - Nothing too exciting but effective none-the-less. You can choose either 1GB (2x 512MB) or 2GB (2x 1GB) Dual Channels kits; in this article we used the 1GB kit. At the time of writing the 1GB kit will set you back about $237 US on Newegg.
Above you can see that the OCZ Performance Series PC-5400 modules are rated with timings of 4-4-4-12 but in fact the sticker is incorrect and the memory SPD is set to run at 4-4-4-8 which tightens things up even more. These timings are a good deal tighter than the standards that JEDEC have set out.
Some performance OCZ RAM comes with a feature they call EVP or Extended Voltage Protection which allows you to increase voltage to reach higher clock speeds without fear of loosing your warranty. The standard voltage of these sticks are 1.8V but OCZ state that they can handle voltages up to 2.2V ±5% and still be covered by their Lifetime Warranty.
We had no issues testing the OCZ DDR-2 at 2.2V throughout our entire testing phase which is a great sign especially when it comes to overclocking because at this voltage level it gives you plenty of room to work with compared to other modules which aren't able to run stable with their voltage set this high.
The OCZ memory is looking good so far but let's continue on and see what the other companies have to offer.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 1 [Introduction]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 2 [Background]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 3 [OCZ Performance Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 4 [Corsair XMS Pro]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 5 [Kingston HyperX]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 6 [Overclocking]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 8 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 10 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 11 [Benchmarks - MP3 Encoding]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Hitman patch lets DirectX 12 users play again
- Apple Music rumored to receive interface overhaul this summer
- Fallout 4's Far Harbor DLC might have underwater exploration
- Titanfall devs working on Star Wars third-person adventure game
- Battlefield 4 Dragon's Teeth, Hardline Robbery DLC temporarily free
- GA-EX58-UD3R won't post
- Creative iRoar Intelligent Bluetooth Speaker Review
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience