OCZ PC-5400 Performance Series
The first set of Dual Channel modules we are taking a look are from OCZ and are part of their Performance Series which come with a copper heat spreader and tight timings compared to cheaper memory in the same range.
I remember the days when OCZ first started with their plain and not terribly exciting memory modules but those days have long gone and OCZ now produce some of the nicest looking modules on the market, in our opinion. The heat spreader isn't light and feels like it will actually help with heat dissipation compared to some other modules which are much lighter. You feel as if you are actually getting something more for your money.
The memory comes in simple retail packaging as you can see from the photo above - Nothing too exciting but effective none-the-less. You can choose either 1GB (2x 512MB) or 2GB (2x 1GB) Dual Channels kits; in this article we used the 1GB kit. At the time of writing the 1GB kit will set you back about $237 US on Newegg.
Above you can see that the OCZ Performance Series PC-5400 modules are rated with timings of 4-4-4-12 but in fact the sticker is incorrect and the memory SPD is set to run at 4-4-4-8 which tightens things up even more. These timings are a good deal tighter than the standards that JEDEC have set out.
Some performance OCZ RAM comes with a feature they call EVP or Extended Voltage Protection which allows you to increase voltage to reach higher clock speeds without fear of loosing your warranty. The standard voltage of these sticks are 1.8V but OCZ state that they can handle voltages up to 2.2V ±5% and still be covered by their Lifetime Warranty.
We had no issues testing the OCZ DDR-2 at 2.2V throughout our entire testing phase which is a great sign especially when it comes to overclocking because at this voltage level it gives you plenty of room to work with compared to other modules which aren't able to run stable with their voltage set this high.
The OCZ memory is looking good so far but let's continue on and see what the other companies have to offer.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 1 [Introduction]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 2 [Background]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 3 [OCZ Performance Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 4 [Corsair XMS Pro]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 5 [Kingston HyperX]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 6 [Overclocking]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 8 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 10 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 11 [Benchmarks - MP3 Encoding]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apple sold less iPhones this quarter, revenues are also down
- Life is Strange getting a live-action episodic series
- Nintendo financials plunge, even with Pokemon GO's immense success
- Crucial expands its affordable MX300 SSD range with 3 new drives
- AMD Radeon Pro graphics card powers 16K display, or 15,360 x 8640
- PW-IE20AH51T0 compatible with PC-G70 ?
- D-Link DIR-879 EXO AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- Asrock z77 Extreme 6 Ram Overclocking Stuck at 2000mhz
- MDD BP5e 480GB M.2 SATA III SSD Review
- ASRock Beebox-S (Intel Core i5-6200U) Mini PC Review
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio