When DDR-2 memory was first introduced with the launch of the Intel 915 and 925X series of chipsets back in the middle part of last year, enthusiasts around the world expected big memory bandwidth performance increases over the tried and tested DDR memory technology. It was soon discovered though that DDR-2 in its early stages would be no quicker (and sometimes slower) than many of the enthusiast DDR modules available from memory makers such as OCZ and so on.
When it was first released, DDR-2 was only marginally quicker on paper than most DDR modules in terms of clock speeds but was let down with high latencies which reduced performance compared to equivalent DDR memory with much tighter timings. With the introduction of the Intel 925XE chipset bought along with it an FSB of 1066MHz with the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.46GHz and now 3.73GHz processors. This meant that you could now run DDR-2 PC-4200 memory at synchronous speeds of 1:1 with the CPU which reduces latencies since the memory is not waiting for the CPU to act.
Around about when the 925XE chipset was launched, many memory companies introduced PC-5400 memory which runs at around 333MHz. This means that users of both the Intel 925X and 925XE (more so the latter) could use memory dividers to increase memory bandwidth on their systems. Several companies not only released PC-5400 memory but also released "high performance" PC-5400 memory with relatively tighter timings compared to cheaper memory of the same nature.
Today we'll be comparing three high performance PC-5400 modules from OCZ, Corsair and Kingston at their default shipping speeds and as far as we can overclock each with loose (high = slower) timings. If you're on the market for a new high-end Intel motherboard and processor you'll need the RAM to go with it.
So which one will it be for you? Read on!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 1 [Introduction]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 2 [Background]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 3 [OCZ Performance Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 4 [Corsair XMS Pro]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 5 [Kingston HyperX]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 6 [Overclocking]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 8 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 10 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 11 [Benchmarks - MP3 Encoding]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Aquaman swims onto screens on October 5, 2018
- Crackdown 3 runs at 4K on Xbox Scorpio, arrives in 2017
- MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries announced for 2018
- GIVEAWAY: Corsair Limited RM1000i Special Edition PSU
- Universal's 'The Mummy' returns in first teaser trailer
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset