When DDR-2 memory was first introduced with the launch of the Intel 915 and 925X series of chipsets back in the middle part of last year, enthusiasts around the world expected big memory bandwidth performance increases over the tried and tested DDR memory technology. It was soon discovered though that DDR-2 in its early stages would be no quicker (and sometimes slower) than many of the enthusiast DDR modules available from memory makers such as OCZ and so on.
When it was first released, DDR-2 was only marginally quicker on paper than most DDR modules in terms of clock speeds but was let down with high latencies which reduced performance compared to equivalent DDR memory with much tighter timings. With the introduction of the Intel 925XE chipset bought along with it an FSB of 1066MHz with the Intel Pentium 4 Extreme Edition 3.46GHz and now 3.73GHz processors. This meant that you could now run DDR-2 PC-4200 memory at synchronous speeds of 1:1 with the CPU which reduces latencies since the memory is not waiting for the CPU to act.
Around about when the 925XE chipset was launched, many memory companies introduced PC-5400 memory which runs at around 333MHz. This means that users of both the Intel 925X and 925XE (more so the latter) could use memory dividers to increase memory bandwidth on their systems. Several companies not only released PC-5400 memory but also released "high performance" PC-5400 memory with relatively tighter timings compared to cheaper memory of the same nature.
Today we'll be comparing three high performance PC-5400 modules from OCZ, Corsair and Kingston at their default shipping speeds and as far as we can overclock each with loose (high = slower) timings. If you're on the market for a new high-end Intel motherboard and processor you'll need the RAM to go with it.
So which one will it be for you? Read on!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 1 [Introduction]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 2 [Background]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 3 [OCZ Performance Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 4 [Corsair XMS Pro]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 5 [Kingston HyperX]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 6 [Overclocking]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 8 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra 2004]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 9 [Benchmarks - PCMark Series]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 10 [Benchmarks - ScienceMark 2.0]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 11 [Benchmarks - MP3 Encoding]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 3 Arena]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- DDR-2 PC-5400 Shootout - Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Das Keyboard takes $20 off keyboards, $0 shipping for holiday sales
- Remedy has finished the 'shivering' end scene in Quantum Break
- Razer injects chromatic flavor into Lenovo's new gaming PC lineup
- NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 900 series price drops for the holidays
- Rumor: Sony unlocks PS4's seventh core to boost performance
- NEed help setting bios
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- BRAVEN Balance, the Active Lifestyle Bluetooth Speaker Now Available
- COGITO FIT WINS DESIGN FOR ASIA AWARD
- SP/ Silicon Power Announces Flagship CompactFlash Memory Card - Superior CF 1100X Born For Ultimate Performance
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis