Polaris Architecture - 'GPUs are more than just Graphics IP'
AMD introduced the new Polaris architecture, surprising us as they had shifted from the rumored names that had been floating around throughout the entire of 2015. We heard about Arctic Islands and all of that, but AMD landed on Polaris, with AMD explaining "Our guiding light is to power every pixel on every device efficiently. Stars are the most efficient photon generators of our universe. Their efficiency is the inspiration for every pixel we generate".
The new Polaris architecture is a collection of different cores and engines, with AMD splitting this up into multimedia, display, caches, memory controllers and power management. All of these parts of the architecture have been redesigned for the new 14nm process, something we'll talk about soon.
AMD's new Polaris architecture has a few different key features, the first of which is that it features the 4th-generation GCN architecture. The refreshed GCN has a primitive discard accelerator, hardware scheduler, instruction pre-fetch, improved shader efficiency, and memory compression.
On top of that, we have HDMI 2.0a and DisplayPort 1.3 support, as well as support for H.265 Main10 decoding at up to 4K, and 4K H.265 at 60FPS (encode) support.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Setting the Stage, Starting With the ATI Radeon 7000 in 2001]
- Page 2 [Introducing the Polaris Architecture]
- Page 3 [The Shrink Down to 14nm FinFET]
- Page 4 [FinFET Enables New Kinds of Products]
- Page 5 [Final Thoughts on Polaris, and the Future of Radeon GPUs]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Gamestop: we'll be chasing Switch supply this whole year
- Samsung store catches fire ahead of the Galaxy S8 launch
- Nintendo Switch cartridge advantage killed by Lego game
- Apple veteran leaves for Oculus, will run VR hardware
- Razer servers fail again, profiles flicked to default
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- DDR3 RAM question
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- GIGABYTE AX370-Gaming 5 (AMD X370) Motherboard Review
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design