VIA PT894 - Enthusiast
The VIA PT894 chipset is exactly the same as the PT880 Pro except instead of providing support for both AGP and PCI Express, it simply provides one full 16 lanes PCI Express graphics slot. VIA have designed the PT894 as an alternative to the Intel 915P chipset and it should do quite well in this market especially if boards based on the VIA chipset are cheaper considering the newer features the VIA Southbridge provides.
Again, motherboard manufacturer will be able to offer the PT894 with either DDR or DDR-II memory support but since this chipset is targeted more so at the mainstream enthusiast user you wouldn't think motherboard companies would offer DDR and DDR-II support on their retail boards. Either DDR or DDR-II would make more sense and we'd probably lean closer to DDR-II. For motherboard companies from the sales prospective, offering both memory standards would take the spotlight off their PT880 Pro boards, who would presumably be offering DDR and DDR-II as well as AGP and PCI Express on the one board but you never know.
Depending on the overclockability (and if the popular VIA PCI lock is in place) and performance of the new VIA chipset, the PT894 chipset could end up doing quite well against the 915P (and even 925X and possibly even 925XE) for VIA especially considering it supports 1066 FSB processors at a reduce priced from the 925XE. In any case though, it is sure to heat up the Pentium 4 chipset market and make things more exciting as well as importantly give you guys more options before nVidia barge through with their nForce5 Pentium 4 chipset sometime soon which will bring SLI support to the Pentium 4 platform.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo Switch accessories begin to get detailed
- 'Transformers 5' gets first trailer, explosions ensue
- PS4 Pro dev kit auctioned with 800GB of encrypted data
- 'Streets of Rage', 'Altered Beast' films on the way
- Hollywood to rent movies, 2 weeks after they hit cinemas
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand