VIA PT894 - Enthusiast
The VIA PT894 chipset is exactly the same as the PT880 Pro except instead of providing support for both AGP and PCI Express, it simply provides one full 16 lanes PCI Express graphics slot. VIA have designed the PT894 as an alternative to the Intel 915P chipset and it should do quite well in this market especially if boards based on the VIA chipset are cheaper considering the newer features the VIA Southbridge provides.
Again, motherboard manufacturer will be able to offer the PT894 with either DDR or DDR-II memory support but since this chipset is targeted more so at the mainstream enthusiast user you wouldn't think motherboard companies would offer DDR and DDR-II support on their retail boards. Either DDR or DDR-II would make more sense and we'd probably lean closer to DDR-II. For motherboard companies from the sales prospective, offering both memory standards would take the spotlight off their PT880 Pro boards, who would presumably be offering DDR and DDR-II as well as AGP and PCI Express on the one board but you never know.
Depending on the overclockability (and if the popular VIA PCI lock is in place) and performance of the new VIA chipset, the PT894 chipset could end up doing quite well against the 915P (and even 925X and possibly even 925XE) for VIA especially considering it supports 1066 FSB processors at a reduce priced from the 925XE. In any case though, it is sure to heat up the Pentium 4 chipset market and make things more exciting as well as importantly give you guys more options before nVidia barge through with their nForce5 Pentium 4 chipset sometime soon which will bring SLI support to the Pentium 4 platform.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The best-paid CEO in the US is Sundar Pichai, CEO of Google
- 1Password updated, features Material Design UI and fingerprint unlock
- Ubisoft says The Division being held back on PC 'simply not true'
- Telstra outage in Australia caused by 'embarrassing human error'
- Explosive new 'Independence Day' TV spot, poster go live
- ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming Z170 Gaming K4 - Only Posts with one memory stick
- TP-LINK Archer C2600 MU-MIMO Wireless Dual-Band Router Review
- [SSD compatibility question] GA-X58A-UD3R with Samsung EVO Pro SSD
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance