VIA PT894 - Enthusiast
The VIA PT894 chipset is exactly the same as the PT880 Pro except instead of providing support for both AGP and PCI Express, it simply provides one full 16 lanes PCI Express graphics slot. VIA have designed the PT894 as an alternative to the Intel 915P chipset and it should do quite well in this market especially if boards based on the VIA chipset are cheaper considering the newer features the VIA Southbridge provides.
Again, motherboard manufacturer will be able to offer the PT894 with either DDR or DDR-II memory support but since this chipset is targeted more so at the mainstream enthusiast user you wouldn't think motherboard companies would offer DDR and DDR-II support on their retail boards. Either DDR or DDR-II would make more sense and we'd probably lean closer to DDR-II. For motherboard companies from the sales prospective, offering both memory standards would take the spotlight off their PT880 Pro boards, who would presumably be offering DDR and DDR-II as well as AGP and PCI Express on the one board but you never know.
Depending on the overclockability (and if the popular VIA PCI lock is in place) and performance of the new VIA chipset, the PT894 chipset could end up doing quite well against the 915P (and even 925X and possibly even 925XE) for VIA especially considering it supports 1066 FSB processors at a reduce priced from the 925XE. In any case though, it is sure to heat up the Pentium 4 chipset market and make things more exciting as well as importantly give you guys more options before nVidia barge through with their nForce5 Pentium 4 chipset sometime soon which will bring SLI support to the Pentium 4 platform.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Mass Effect Andromeda deal takes a dive to 27% off
- AMD's high-end X390/X399 mobo: dual Ryzen CPUs possible
- Dell unleashes its new 8K monitor, costs $5000
- New Call of Duty set in WWII?
- Gionee launches A1 in India
- Kong: Skull Island Movie Review
- TPM issue with 970-D3P
- Extreme9 3 way crossfirex
- Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse