Considering that SLI doesn't support all the programs we looked at it does give us at least a slight performance increase. Maybe the list of games you find back on page 4 would be better known as the games that are able to make full use of SLI, we can understand why nVidia didn't put a month of effort into making sure we saw a 90% increase in 3DMark2001 SE. They have worked on improving SLI efficiency in games that are probably the most popular at the moment and with the most popular games out the way they can start working on other popular titles and future titles.
You can see for yourself that this is a very fast setup and anyone would be glad to have this running next to them right now. It's fast, surprisingly stable for a new technology and just totally kick ass to look at. With support for the major releases, people playing Half Life 2, Sims 2, Doom 3, Halo and more are going to see advantages and if you've made your way over to the Online Result Browser as of a late at Futuremark you can see that nothing is able to keep up with the power of two 6800 Ultra cards in SLI. nVidia aren't saying that this is for everyone nor are we but if you are serious about your gaming and you have some dollars to splash around, take the leap into the pond of SLI and we guarantee you won't be disappointed.
You can see that SLI doesn't affect overall system performance in our line of synthetic tests so you aren't trading memory or CPU bandwidth for those extra frames. nVidia are on a good thing at the moment and you can tell that the Graphics Card King Crown title is back in their sight which they lost with the release of the 9700 Pro a few years back from ATI.
You can complain all day long about the price of a top end SLI setup but there is no denying that two GeForce 6800 Ultra's in SLI is going to give you the best gaming experience around. This setup isn't for people with a 17" CRT or LCD that can only support 1280 X 1024. This setup is for people who own 21" CRTs that play at 1600 and above or Wide Screen LCD owners wanting to game at 1920 X 1200 without having to worry about having to drop to 16-bit or sacrifice a bit of image quality for a smooth frame rate. With an SLI setup you can play with it all turned on and still be smiling.
While we would normally do a Pros and Cons section at the end of this final page we can simply say the Pros are everything about it - the look of two cards in a single system, the pure speed, the gaming experience, the satisfaction knowing that at this point in time your gaming experience isn't able to be any better and Cons, yeah it's expensive but so are Ferrari's and if you want the best you have to pay through the nose for it.
The technology behind nVidia's SLI receives our TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Editor's Choice award. Enough said.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- SLI - Page 1 [Introduction]
- SLI - Page 2 [What is SLI? AFR and SFR]
- SLI - Page 3 [What parts do I need?]
- SLI - Page 4 [Supported Games and Setting up an SLI system]
- SLI - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & 3DMark2001 SE]
- SLI - Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- SLI - Page 7 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- SLI - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- SLI - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2]
- SLI - Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- SLI - Page 11 [Benchmarks - SiSoft Sandra]
- SLI - Page 12 [Benchmarks - PCMark 2002]
- SLI - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Final Fantasy 15 isn't completely open-world
- Nintendo admits it has to communicate better with the NX
- Open-source Piton CPU can scale into million-core system
- Steam allows No Man's Sky refunds regardless of playtime
- Halo 5 Forge needs 16GB of RAM for 4K at 60FPS on the PC
- GB's z170x G7's audio compared to G1's
- Overwatch Eichenwalde Map Preview
- 1833MHz memory in Asus PU551LA
- New Build - About to Press BUY
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Performance Analysis
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller