Gigabyte NX66T Graphics Card
The NX66T series is Gigabyte's mid-level graphics card, but one thing is for sure, it's packaged more like a high-end graphics card. The box is actually one of the biggest I have seen for a graphics card, and when you get the card out, it becomes apparent that the card is aimed at the gamers when you open the box and reveal the contents. First off you have your card, a Driver CD with the V-Tuner II program for overclocking and monitoring, PowerDVD 5 disk, user manual, S-Video/HDTV splitter box and one of the best games I have ever personally played Doom 3 all within the one package.
The card size and layout is that of the nVidia reference design, however, Gigabyte has made a few changes for aesthetics. First off the PCB isn't the same green one we saw from nVidia's reference card but a night deep blue, which has been the colour of the nVidia based cards from Gigabyte for a little while now. The heatsink also is quite different, as you can see, the heatsink on the reference cards tend to cover the memory (though most of them don't cool the memory) Gigabyte has gone with a gold coloured smaller heatsink.
With the heatsink removed we see the core used for the NX66T. The GeForce 6600GT core is the first core from nVidia to be a native PCI Express based graphics core. nVidia's design up till the release of the 6600 core was to design their GPU's for the AGP bus type and use a bridge chip in order to translate the AGP signals of the GPU into the PCI Express signals used by the newest Northbridge chipsets.
Due to limits of the AGP bus type, nVidia has now moved over to native PCI Express designs and using the same bridge chip in reverse to convert PCI Express over to AGP signals.
GDDR 3 memory is the latest memory to come out for graphics cards. GDDR 3 memory is designed on the same basis of memory used for system memory; however, latencies and clock speeds are set for graphics cards - 128MB of Samsung 2ns FBGA memory in a 128-bit memory array.
The 6600GT as most know has support for SLI functions, and Gigabyte has included the SLI port on the top of the card. Gigabyte specifies that the SLI function will only work with the exact same cards; however, we haven't been able to do any tests to see if this is correct or not as yet.
For our overclocking tests we used the Coolbits registry command and has been one of the best utilities for overclocking nVidia cards for some time.
With a default clock speed of 600MHz on the on the GPU and 900MHz DDR on the memory, we didn't know what to expect. We managed (with the stock cooling setup Gigabyte provides) a core clock of 720MHz and a memory clock of 1.14GHz DDR which is a very good overclock result indeed.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 2 [The Cards - GeForce 6600GT]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 3 [The Cards - GeForce 6800GT]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 4 [The Cards - GeForce 6200]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test Systems and 3DMark03]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 10 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Gigabyte GeForce Compared - Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- AMD's new 17.7.2 drivers include Enhanced Sync, and more
- HTC Standalone VR headset launches in China
- GTA V tops June console earnings with new monthly high
- Nintendo Switch hits 4.7 million install base
- Huawei launches overpriced Porsche Design Watch 2
- Lian-Li PC-O5SW...Watercooling and dimensions
- Toshiba XG5 1TB OEM M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review
- Toshiba N300 8TB High-Reliability HDD Review
- Alphacool Eiswand External CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Team T-Force Night Hawk RGB DDR4-3000 RAM Kit Review
- Need for Speed Payback takes cars from scrap to stock to supercar in new trailer
- Visbit releases Unity SDK and web VR player for its all-in-one VR streaming service, bringing high quality VR streaming to the masses
- GWENT Gamescom 2017 tournament announced
- Toshiba NVMe SSDs now available with Lenovo's new ThinkSystem and ThinkAgile servers
- Mafia III: Sign of the Times DLC now available