Release Note Comments
As you can see below quite a lot has changed with the release of the 4.12 drivers.
Problem Report Wizard for the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER
The latest release of CATALYST introduces a new menu item in the CATALSYT CONTROL CENTER Help dashboard called Problem Report Wizard. This feature will provide all of the same Problem Report Wizard functionality found in the current ATI CLASSIC CONTROL PANEL to the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER.
OVERDRIVE Version 3.0
The latest release of CATALYST introduces OVERDRIVE version 3.0 for the RADEON X850 XT. This version of OVERDRIVE will allow users to manually set the graphic and memory clocks, while still protecting the user from causing damage to their graphic card. OVERDRIVE version 3.0 also provides an optional automated search for maximum clock speeds. This feature is supported under both the Windows XP and 2000 operating systems
Performance Improvements for CATALYST Display Driver Version 4.12
As with most CATALYST releases performance has increased in various situations. The following performance gains are noticed:
* Driver efficiency has improved considerably for both Direct3D and OpenGL.
* Numerous D3D games show 2-3% gains at low resolution. The small batch size tests in 3DMark05 show improvements as large as 15% on some products.
* In OpenGL, several game titles show improvements in the lower settings. Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory, for instance, shows gains as large as 15% in low resolution (driver-bound) cases. Doom III performance improves 5-10% at low settings. Call of Duty improves 5-6%.
* Half-Life 2 performance also improves as much as 20% over Catalyst 4.11 in certain sections of the game.
Issues Resolved in CATALYST Display Driver Version 4.12
The following section provides a summary of issues that have been resolved in the latest version of CATALYST. These include:
* Half-Life 2: Playing the game on a system containing an Athlon XP CPU no longer results in missing textures occasionally being noticed
* Half-Life 2: Intermittent psychedelic patterns are no longer seen when playing the game under Windows XP
* CounterStrike: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 series installed no longer results in display corruption being seen in the floor in de_chateau map
* Doom 3: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition no longer results in display corruption being seen when pressing CTRL+Alt+Delete followed by clicking Cancel
* Everquest: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition installed results in the game displaying a black screen when setting the texture quality to high and having all radio buttons selected
* Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault: Setting the model detail to high and change the game resolution to high no longer results in the game failing to respond under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 series installed
* Tron2.0: Setting the display device resolution to 1280x1024 32bpp and setting the display option for the game to 800x600 32bpp no longer results in display corruption being seen in the game cinematics
* Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Playing the game under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 series installed no longer results in triple buffering failing when enabling the option in the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER
* Attempting to rotate the display 90 degrees and play an OpenGL game under Windows XP may result in the game failing to launch
* Enabling clone mode along with theatre mode option under overlay no longer results in WinDVD and the operating system failing to respond when dragging the WinDVD window around the desktop
* Display corruption is no longer noticed when playing a DVD using WinDVD and having subtitles enabled under Windows XP with an ATI RADEON X800 series installed
* Attempting to make a change to a saved profile within the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER no longer results in the Save button being greyed out
* Connecting a secondary CRT and clicking the X button to close the Enable this display window found in the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER Advanced view, no longer results in the window not closing
* Muting the audio during the playback of full screen HDTV video under Windows Media Center Edition no longer results in the video being paused
* Angle information in the rotation modes is now correct for the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER
* Enabling Overscan under Windows XP with an ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 installed no longer results in the image not being centered properly on the display device
* Connecting a secondary CRT display device and extending the desktop, followed by unplugging the secondary device and hot-plugging a DFP device no longer results in the DFP remaining in the Additional display area when attempting to swap devices
* The Windows desktop brightness no longer dims when playing a DVD and having an HDTV connected as the primary display device
* Playing a DVD under Windows XP MCE with an ATI RADEON X800 XT installed no longer results in VPU Recover being activated when attempting to drag or resize the Media Center window
* An error message is no longer displayed when attempting to switch a secondary display device back to the primary display device when using the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER
If you would like to read the full release notes, they can be found here at the ATI website.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Half-Life 3 teased in a recent update to Dota 2
- Naughty Dog: around 80% of PS4 gamers 'have never played Uncharted'
- Elon Musk refers to Apple as 'Tesla's graveyard'
- Sony started working on PlayStation VR in 2010
- ASUS makes its PG279Q monitor official, QHD with 165Hz and G-Sync
- Connection questions Z170 Extreme 6+ motherboard
- Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6 won't POST when loading XMP Profile for G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200Mhz Black DDR4
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R Rev1 SSD Boot Order Issue.
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent