As a single drive, the MX200 is right on the heels of Samsung's 850 Pro. The tables turn in an array with an MX200 array delivering better all-around performance than an 850 Pro array. Whether it's a moderate or heavy workload, an MX200 array is hard to beat. When you factor in pricing, an MX200 array is in our opinion the best bang for the buck SATA array available right now. We say this with one caveat; we don't know how well a comparative 3-drive 850 EVO array performs. However, we suspect an MX200 array will deliver better heavy workload performance in a steady state.
We like the fact that the Crucial's MX200 is selling in the same price range as most TLC based SSD's. Enough time has not passed yet to levy a verdict on Samsung's 3D TLC flash. Will issues arise as we saw from the 840 EVO? We don't think so, but at this point, we feel there is no definitive answer.
Micron's 16nm MLC flash is a known entity and has stood the test of time. We know it is both fast and durable, so at this point we give the nod to Micron MLC over Samsung TLC in an array where heavy workloads are standard fare.
Because we perform most of our evaluations with the test subject running as our boot volume, we can comment on how the drives performed with our OS. As you might expect, our 3-drive MX200 array performs exceptionally well as our OS disk. It is noticeably faster than lesser arrays. Boots are lightning quick, much faster than a single drive. File transfer rates are better than any 3-drive array we've ever used. Programs launch instantaneously and multitasking performance is phenomenal. Overall, our experience with a 3-drive MX200 array as our OS disk has been very satisfying.
- High Performance in Steady-State
- 4-Layer Data Protection
- MLC Flash
- Average Random Read Performance
RAIDing two or more drives together provides you with storage that takes performance to the next level and is something I recommend you try. Think of it as the SLI of storage. Once you go RAID, there's no going back!
PRICING: You can find the Crucial MX200 500GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive - CT500MX200SSD1 for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link below to see real-time pricing for the best deal:
- Page 1 [Introduction, Drive Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Drive Details]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and Properties]
- Page 4 [Synthetic Benchmarks - ATTO & Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 5 [Synthetic Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark & AS SSD]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks (Trace Based OS Volume) - PCMark Vantage, PCMark 7 & PCMark 8]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - Disk Response & Transfer Rates]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks (Secondary Volume) - PCMark 8 Extended]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xiaomi's upcoming phone to rock dual camera and MIUI 9
- Enter our 'Ghost in the Shell' Blu-ray giveaway
- Snap's Spectacles are now available on Amazon
- Xbox worth $9 billion, 53 million Xbox LIVE users
- Essential phone to be more than a month late
- Asus laptop BIOS does not recognize UBCD-post page is grayed out - can't post
- Bloody AL90 Blazing Laser Gaming Mouse Review
- Cryptocurrency mining deflates, used GPUs hit eBay
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3600 32GB Memory Kit Review
- ASRock X299 Taichi Motherboard Review
- Atari announces Blade Runner 2049 partnership with NECA and Audiowear, launching wearable technology that blurs the line between fashion and future
- BIOSTAR introduces the world's first 8-slot PCI-e mining motherboard with the TB250-BTC+
- HyperX unveils HyperX Alloy Elite and TKL HyperX Alloy FPS Pro mechanical gaming keyboards
- Toshiba Memory Corporation develops world's first 3D flash memory with TSV technology
- ADATA releases XPG GAMMIX line with S10 PCIe Gen3x4 NVMe 1.2 SSD and D10 DDR4