In The Box
Much like with the MSI board, when you crack open the plastic seals of the box you will be greeted with the standard array of stuff that you have come to expect when purchasing a motherboard. Instruction manuals, driver disks, the board, and cabling are all included. What you have come to expect, you will find here. One nice addition that ABIT decided to add was a small card with the primary wiring layouts and port pinouts for the main connectors of the board. Especially useful was the layout of the enclosure headers and switches. While a small thing, it was nice to be able to grab a card and not have to rifle through the manual.
A little rant here is in order, I think. First off, this ABIT board comes with only a single IDE cable, just like the MSI board also being tested. While this didn't make a big impression on me (I was used to the concept I guess), I was amazed to see them including ribbon style cabling for the IDE drives and the floppy drive. Come on now! I fail to see the reason of creating a motherboard that caters specifically to the enthusiast crowd and then add in cheap ribbon cables. Did I miss something and not realize airflow had no meaning anymore? Even if you're going to be using SATA drives, you will still have to manage cabling for the optical devices.
While everything above is pretty common fare, there was one item included that was out of the ordinary.
It is called the Guru Clock and is where the 3rd Eye portion of the board's name comes into play. It is an external device that works in a very similar manner to the MSI CoreCenter overclocking utility. It gives you a constant monitoring of temperatures, fan speeds, voltage levels, processor speed; it even has a small digital clock in the lower right hand corner. It is a pretty innovative idea that actually works very well through the ABIT designed chip on the motherboard.
On top of the Guru Clock is a small set of three buttons. While you can use these to make your settings to the device, it is much easier to use the included utility. It allows you a much easier means to configure what is monitored and making adjustments to the settings of the Clock. It also acts as an On The Fly overclocking utility, but we'll cover that a little later.
Though the flash drowns out the display a bit, the photo above will give you an idea of what the Guru Clock looks like when it is active. Oh, and don't mind the dust. =)
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 1 [Introduction]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 2 [MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 3 [MSI In The Box]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 4 [MSI Motherboard]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 5 [MSI Motherboard ~ Cont]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 6 [MSI Installation and BIOS]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 7 [MSI Overclocking]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 8 [ABIT AV8 3rd Eye]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 9 [ABIT In The Box]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 10 [ABIT Motherboard]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 11 [ABIT Motherboard ~ Cont]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 12 [ABIT Installation and BIOS]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 13 [ABIT Overclocking]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup & SiSoft Sandra]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 15 [Benchmarks - 3DMark2001 SE]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 16 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 17 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 18 [Benchmarks - HD Tach 3]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 19 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH 2003]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 20 [Benchmarks - AquaMark 3]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 21 [Benchmarks - Quake III]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 22 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 23 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- MSI vs. ABIT - Page 24 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.