DDR-2, like most new technology that is here to stay, is something that has to be proven over time. DDR so far has the upper hand, as its lower latencies and bandwidth matching performance shows that higher bandwidth in theory isn't always better, but to be frank it is hard to draw definite conclusions from this due to a number of factors.
First we are dealing with first generation DDR-2 modules as well as first generation DDR-2 motherboard chipsets. DDR didn't fully blossom until the third and forth generation chipsets started to take advantage of this new technology, and they have had since 1999 to the present day to perfect this technology, and perfect it they have.
Second we are dealing with only one platform that has a nature of starting out slow and building up, after all, Pentium 4 when it first came out wasn't any faster than the Pentium 3, but we can't say that today, with the performance of the P4 now being at the 4GHz doorstep we see that the architecture is developed into a usable source, which is what DDR-2 must do.
We can only hope that the upcoming 1066FSB Pentium 4 and 925XE chipsets have better optimisations for DDR-2, as the extra bandwidth of DDR-2 at 533MHz is simply wasted, where it should be used for graphics card use or other high bandwidth systems, after all the P4 has its 6.5GB/s, the rest on the current 9xx chipset just wastes the remaining 2GB/s.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Destiny 2 content timed exclusive to PS4 until 2018
- Destiny 2 trailer shows Cabal invading Last City
- AMD's 12C/24T and 16C/32T CPUs called 'ThreadRipper'
- FMV games are coming back with Late Shift on April 18
- First Dolby Vision 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs announced
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- Cannot get rid of Asus Secure Delete
- NZXT Kraken X52 Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- Window side panel for PC-V1020
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software
- ASUS announces support for Intel Optane memory
- Thermaltake releases new View 28 RGB Gull-Wing window ATX mid-tower chassis series with Tt LCS Certified and unique 256-color RGB matrix design