DDR-2, like most new technology that is here to stay, is something that has to be proven over time. DDR so far has the upper hand, as its lower latencies and bandwidth matching performance shows that higher bandwidth in theory isn't always better, but to be frank it is hard to draw definite conclusions from this due to a number of factors.
First we are dealing with first generation DDR-2 modules as well as first generation DDR-2 motherboard chipsets. DDR didn't fully blossom until the third and forth generation chipsets started to take advantage of this new technology, and they have had since 1999 to the present day to perfect this technology, and perfect it they have.
Second we are dealing with only one platform that has a nature of starting out slow and building up, after all, Pentium 4 when it first came out wasn't any faster than the Pentium 3, but we can't say that today, with the performance of the P4 now being at the 4GHz doorstep we see that the architecture is developed into a usable source, which is what DDR-2 must do.
We can only hope that the upcoming 1066FSB Pentium 4 and 925XE chipsets have better optimisations for DDR-2, as the extra bandwidth of DDR-2 at 533MHz is simply wasted, where it should be used for graphics card use or other high bandwidth systems, after all the P4 has its 6.5GB/s, the rest on the current 9xx chipset just wastes the remaining 2GB/s.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Light's new camera has 16 camera sensors, takes 52-megapixel photos
- HP unveils its new 34-inch curved all-in-one 'Envy' PC
- Netflix increases its $8.99 per month plan to $9.99 per month
- 'Furious 8' finally lands a director
- NVIDIA rumored to discontinue the 2GB version of the GeForce GTX 960
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- D-Link DCH-S160 mydlink Wi-Fi Smart Home Water Sensor Review
- ga-z170x-UD5 m.2 raid and intel rst drivers will not let me install windows to the raid
- X99 Extreme 4 and Thunderbolt
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent