OCZ Power Stream
OCZ is one of the world's best memory manufacturers for overclockers and their impressive Power Stream PSU is something to complement that. It is designed from the ground up with independent rails which means when you load up one, the others are not affected. It has the ability to tweak the 3.3v, 5v and 12v rails independent of each other, so only the one that needs the voltage adjustment gets it.
Along with this it has the 24 pin ATX power connector for next generation LGA775 motherboards as well as supporting server classed chassis with its 8 pin voltage power connector. The only downside was that the cables weren't all sleeved, but the twisted lines do make up for it a bit.
In all this PSU was way beyond what we expected and receives a rating of 9.5 out of 10 TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Editors Choice Award
Thermaltake has this time done a good job on the Polo12. Its voltages were stable at standard and overclocked speeds. It didn't fail under load like some of their others have done in the past, and with a reasonably good price tag it would make a good alternative for the OCZ Power Stream.
Thermaltake receives a rating of 8 out of 10
The Vantec PSU, while looking good, didn't seem to have the extra bit that we normally see from their PSU's. While it did perform well, it didn't seem to have that extra "meat". When trying to run a Prescott system on the PSU, it caused the unit to run quite hot, especially with overclocking. We wouldn't recommend doing it for long periods of time.
Vantec receives a rating of 7 out of 10
The SilenX PSU was the worst of the units we tested. While we cannot go as far as saying don't buy this PSU, it is best kept for the Northwood CPU, as it randomly reset on the Prescott unit. In all if you want a silent, cheap PSU for a Northwood, this PSU is one to look out for.
SilenX receives a rating of 7 out of 10
The Coolermaster 450 watt PSU was a superb unit. Its dual 12v rails gave stability to the Prescott CPU, and allowed a flawless overclock. It has enough power to spare for the many other devices that you will want to attach, including the GeForce 6800 Ultra series graphics cards without having to worry about going over the limit. The wattage meter was also a great feature, especially when you want to keep track of the voltage situation.
The Coolermaster AS-450 PSU receives a rating of 9 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Value Award
The 350 watt Coolermaster PSU was similar to the SilenX in that it is more suited to working with the older Northwood based Pentium 4 processors. While it is okay for Prescott at standard clock speeds, when overclocking the 450 watt version is the better option.
Coolermaster AS-350 receives a rating of 7.5 out of 10
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 2 [OCZ Power Stream 520ADJ]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 3 [Thermaltake Polo12]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 4 [Vantec VAN-350N]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 5 [SilenX 350]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 6 [Coolermaster RS-450-ACLY]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 7 [Coolermaster RS-350-AMSA]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 8 [Testing]
- Power Supply Roundup - Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Lost in Space is coming back, with a 10-episode Netflix reboot
- GIGABYTE teases GeForce GTX 1070 Mini-ITX OC, same size as the R9 Nano
- PowerColor Radeon RX 480 Devil can hit 1.4GHz with triple-fan cooler
- NVIDIA rumored to launch GeForce GTX 1060 next week, will fight RX 480
- AMD's next-gen 'Naples' processor spotted, features 64 CPU threads
- Insight Needed for RAM upgrade issue.
- Doom Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Cant overclock RAM
- How will windows 10 affect my D, E and F drives?
- Updated BIOS on E3C226D2I now can't boot from USB
- MSI starring new Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 graphics card
- AMD launches the Radeon Rebellion with the Radeon RX 480 video card, available now
- SAPPHIRE launches next generation Polaris-based Radeon RX 480 video card
- Be Quiet! announces the Dark Base 900 case
- Western Digital launches world's fastest 256GB microSD Card