MSI K8N Neo Platinum
- The Package
The black box looks excellent and on the front you can see that it is the "Platinum Edition" which utilizes the nForce 3 250GB chipset as opposed to the normal nForce 3 250 chipset which doesn't include native and speedy Gigabit networking.
We have some more colorful Serial ATA cables, a molex to Serial ATA power connector, two extra USB ports and DrLED display. This is similar to EPOX error code display except MSI's version simply uses four LEDs which you can reference to the manual to figure out what is wrong.
- The Motherboard
The MSI motherboard has an awesome looking and feeling black PCB which really can only be shown properly in real life. It's a smooth thick PCB and looks fantastic. This particular motherboard is very colorful as you can see with a red AGP slot, orange SATA ports, yellow parallel ports and aqua memory banks. This really is a nice looking motherboard - we hope MSI didn't spend all their time on aesthetics and not tweaking it, although we highly doubt it judging on the company's history of motherboard production.
The RAM slots are in a slightly different position then you would normally expect and just below them you can see the MSI CoreCell chip which is designed to help increase motherboard performance by automatically increasing the FSB slightly from time to time. Let's see if it works later on when it comes to benchmarking the motherboard.
The Serial ATA ports really stand out on the MSI motherboard, if you didn't notice them in the first picture they can be found towards the bottom right corner of the motherboard and just above the AGP port. With a total of four Serial ATA ports and two Parallel ATA ports this should be plenty for most people. Being native as well the speeds are so much better as we found out in our Serial ATA controller roundup earlier this year, especially with a pair of Western Digital Raptor drives in RAID 0.
The MSI motherboard uses the 250GB version of the nForce 3 chipset which includes native Gigabit networking which helps remove the PCI bus bottle neck and also helps lower CPU utilization which results in stunning LAN performance.
It offers four USB 2.0 ports, one Firewire port, Gigabit Networking, 8 Channel Audio and RCA/S/PDIF output ports.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 1 [Introduction]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 2 [Gigabyte K8NSNXP]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 3 [MSI K8N Neo Platinum]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 4 [ASUS K8N-E Deluxe]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 5 [Shuttle AN51R]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 7 [Benchmarks - PC Mark 2004]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2001 SE]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 3]
- nForce 3 250 Motherboard Roundup - Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo to produce 18 million Switch consoles this year
- GIVEAWAY: Patriot Viper V570 Mouse and V370 RGB Headset
- Huawei launches new nova 2 with dual rear camera
- Nintendo shares skyrocket to 8-year high
- Alienware Aurora reach reasonable price for Memorial Day
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017