It would seem that there really isn't much of a performance increase in the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and it may well mean that some people will not worrying about updating their VGA drivers this time around. Doom 3 sees a slight increase at the lower resolution as does Unreal Tournament 2004 but when it comes to synthetic tests there seems to be a slight performance drop.
The 4.9 BETA drivers are slower in just about all our tests except Doom 3 but when these BETA's were released by ATI, they did come with the name Doom Hotfix so we didn't expect to see much performance gains across the other tests - just the super hot new FPS. With that said though, we didn't expect them to be slower. These are still in BETA status so we can't really comment on them or judge ATI in anyway until the Canadian firm releases the official drivers next month.
The only reason you would upgrade to the latest 4.8 drivers from ATI is if you are playing a lot of Doom 3 at the moment - at 1024 X 768 there is definitely a performance increase and while the 4 or 5 FPS might not seem like much, when working out the percentage it can be as high as a 10% performance increase in the new shooter.
If you are not intending on playing a whole bunch of Doom 3, as far as pure performance numbers go, there should be no need in upgrading. Although as a general rule, it is always good to be running the latest drivers as there are also bug fixes in each and every release.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- How you can become a hacker's worst nightmare
- Snapchat announces sunglasses with a built-in camera
- How to build dynamic web apps with Angular JS
- Samsung Galaxy S8 rumored to rock a 4K display
- Google rumored to acquire Twitter, news to break soon
- Prepping LGA2011 Build
- Unable to find BIOS update for motherboard
- Lian Li O Series Multiple Expansion card support
- asrock fatality h170 performance red light on bios and not monitor output no beeps
- Anidees AI Crystal Mid-Tower Chassis Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now