It would seem that there really isn't much of a performance increase in the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and it may well mean that some people will not worrying about updating their VGA drivers this time around. Doom 3 sees a slight increase at the lower resolution as does Unreal Tournament 2004 but when it comes to synthetic tests there seems to be a slight performance drop.
The 4.9 BETA drivers are slower in just about all our tests except Doom 3 but when these BETA's were released by ATI, they did come with the name Doom Hotfix so we didn't expect to see much performance gains across the other tests - just the super hot new FPS. With that said though, we didn't expect them to be slower. These are still in BETA status so we can't really comment on them or judge ATI in anyway until the Canadian firm releases the official drivers next month.
The only reason you would upgrade to the latest 4.8 drivers from ATI is if you are playing a lot of Doom 3 at the moment - at 1024 X 768 there is definitely a performance increase and while the 4 or 5 FPS might not seem like much, when working out the percentage it can be as high as a 10% performance increase in the new shooter.
If you are not intending on playing a whole bunch of Doom 3, as far as pure performance numbers go, there should be no need in upgrading. Although as a general rule, it is always good to be running the latest drivers as there are also bug fixes in each and every release.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- LG is investing billions of dollars into OLED production
- Sony is working on a Remote Play app for Windows and OS X
- Acer Predator gaming notebooks feature i7-6700HQ, 980M, 4K, G-SYNC
- AMD says price drop on their GPUs isn't their doing
- Multiple Instagram accounts now supported on Android
- Sharp GX-BT7 2.1-Channel Wireless Bluetooth Speaker Review
- D-Link DCS-2630L 1080p Ultra-Wide View IP Wi-Fi Camera Review
- ID-Cooling Frostflow 240L CPU Liquid Cooler Review
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- Team Group Announces Neptune Gaming SO-DIMM Memory
- Cooltek Announces the Skall Series ATX Mid-tower Chassis
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader