ATAPI / E-IDE Half-Height internal DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD+R9 / DVD-R / DVD-RW / DVD-ROM / CD-R / CD-RW / CD-ROM combination drive
Supported Double Layer DVD+R9 Recording Function
SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer UnderRun Error, Automatically adjusting writing strategy & running OPC to provide the best burning quality
SMART-X function adjusts CD-DA / VCD / DVD data extraction to a fastest allowable speed according to both data request rate from host and disk quality
VAS system reduce vibration and noise during recording and reading
Support Fixed Packet, Variable Packet, TAO, SAO, DAO, Raw Mode Burning & Over-Burn
DVD read compliant : DVD single / dual layer ( PTP / OTP ), DVD-R ( 3.9 GB / 4.7 GB ), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW
CD read compliant : CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM / XA, Photo-CD, Multi-session, Karaoke-CD, Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R, and CD-RW
Supprot both 8 cm and 12 cm disc of CD and DVD family
Conform to Orange Book : Part 2 CD-R Volume 1, Part 2 CD-R Volume 2 Multi Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 1 ( 1x, 2x, and 4x ), Part 3 CD-RW Volume 2 : High Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 3 : Ultra Speed
Supported transfer mode : PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 and Ultra DMA mode 2
Write DVD+R 8x ( 10800 KB/sec ) maximum by Z-CLV
DVD-R 8x ( 10800 KB/sec ) maximum by Z-CLV
DVD+R9 2.4x ( 3240 KB/sec ) maximum by CLV
ReWrite DVD+RW 4x ( 5400 KB/sec ) by CLV
DVD-RW 4x ( 5400 KB/sec ) by CLV
Read 12x ( 16200 KB/sec ) maximum by CAV
Access time 160 ms
Write CD-R 40x ( 6000 KB/sec ) maximum by P-CAV
ReWrite CD-RW 24x ( 3600 KB/sec ) maximum by Z-CLV in UltraSpeed disc
Read 40x ( 6000 KB/sec ) maximum by CAV
Access time 160 ms
Buffer Size: 2 MB
PC Required: Pentium III 450 MHz or faster CPU and 128 MB or higher RAM are required 650 MB HDD available capacity; and 5 GB free space for creating a DVD image file
Compatibility: Windows 98 / NT 4.0 / ME / 2000 / XP
MTBF ( Life ): 70,000 Hours
S/N Ration: > 75 dB
Operating 5C to 45C; Relative Humidity : 15% to 80%
Non-Operating -40C to 60C; Relative Humidity : 15% to 95%
Dimension: 145.0 ( W ) x 41.3 ( H ) x 170.0 ( D ) mm
Weight: < 0.9 Kg
+5V +/-5% and less than 100 mVp-p ripple voltage
- The Package
The box of the 832S is a little bit more exciting then the 1213S as you can see it also advertises the included software package a little more. This is a black drive which we will have a closer look at in just a moment.
The back of the box is very similar as the 1213S as far as the layout goes but the specifications are slightly different with this unit being capable of burning Dual Layer disks.
This package is really exactly the same as the 1213S. We have a copy of PowerDVD, some blank media and a copy of Nero so you can start burning straight away. There would be a universal package for all of Lite-On's burners and you will find that all the packages are very similar except the version of software is slowly updated over time. It would have been nice for some included Dual Layer media but with the steep price of this media at the moment, it might be better to purchase it yourself if you think you will use it.
- What is Dual Layer?
DVD Dual Layer technology has been around for a while as there are quite a few movies that are available on DVD using this technology which have more complex audio and visual effects (or special features) than other movies which only require a single layer DVD disk which can hold up to 4.7GB of data. Dual Layer technology almost doubles the amount of data you can store on one Dual Layer capable disk. This quick paragraph and image explains Dual Layer technology the best:
The dual-layer DVD+R system uses two thin embedded organic dye films for data storage separated by a spacer layer (see figure). Heating with a focused laser beam irreversibly modifies the physical and chemical structure of each layer such that the modified areas have different optical properties to those of their unmodified surroundings. This causes a variation in reflectivity as the disc rotates to provide a read-out signal as with commercially pressed read-only discs.
Source: Philips Press Release
With Dual Layer summarized in a nutshell, let's have a closer look at the burner.
- A Closer Look
The sticker is similar to the one on the 1213S minus a few changes. The drive name, serial number and manufacturing date are all different but apart from that it just explains that it is a Class 1 Laser Product and gives you a warning in a number of languages.
The front of the drive is similar to the 1213S except it is black and has the extra logo on the front that stands for Dual Layer. Moving to the back of the drive it is exactly the same as the 1213S, as you would expect.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 2 [Lite-On 1213S (12x DVD Burning)]
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 3 [Lite-On 832S (Dual Layer Supported)]
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Write Times]
- Lite-On DVD Burners - Page 5 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Germany to Facebook: Stop collecting Whatsapp user data
- OBS Studio adds support for AMD Video Coding Engine
- Halo 5, Forza Horizon 3 first games with Microsoft DRM
- How to get 1TB of lifetime cloud storage for only $39
- NASA finds strong evidence of water plumes on Europa
- GA-EX58-UD3R Vt-d support
- Seagate IronWolf 10TB NAS HDD Review
- Fitbit Charge 2 Fitness Band Review
- Samsung 850 EVO 4TB SATA III SSD Review
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst Graphics Performance Tweak Guide
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now