Optimus Eco Design
Our Eco samples come bearing the SMART Storage Systems branding, noting the company purchased by SanDisk that originally developed the core IP behind the Guardian Technology Suite. SanDisk branding will follow the scheme outlined on the first page of this evaluation, though the pretty stickers are not the real story behind the Optimus Eco.
The construction of the Optimus Eco, which consists of precision milled, aluminum alloy, speaks volumes to the care taken in the design of this SSD.
Popping apart the case brings the precision milling into view. There are recessed grooves that allow heat-producing components to come very close to contacting the case. Even though there is no direct surface mating, the extreme close tolerance design creates such a slim gap between the components and case that heat is efficiently wicked into the case, which then acts as a large heat sink. This ingenious design forgoes the use of thermal pads, yet still delivers the same thermal efficiency.
The top of the PCB holds eight of the BGA-mounted 32GB NAND packages, and the remaining eight populate the bottom of the PCB. The Toshiba 19nm NAND is jointly manufactured with SanDisk through their Flash Forward venture.
A total of twelve power-loss protection emplacements are located close to the NAND packages. The Tantalum capacitors provide the SSD with enough power hold-up to flush data to the lower NAND pages. There are three DRAM packages, making a combined total of 768MB, above the Marvell controller.
The Optimus Eco utilizes the Marvell 88SS9185-BLN2 controller. This key component provides flexibility for firmware customization. This is an important consideration for deploying custom SanDisk firmware that enables the Guardian Suite, which provides massive improvements in endurance and performance.
Optimus Eco Specifications
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Optimus Eco Design and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Database/OLTP and Web Server]
- Page 8 [Email Server and File Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Set sail with 'Moana' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway!
- MSI makes its GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X official
- StarCraft remastered announced by Blizzard
- The first sign of Kaby Lake X: the Intel Core i7-7740K
- AMD Ryzen with 12C/24T appears, excites us all so much
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Just finished my PC-011 Build
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Kong: Skull Island Movie Review
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse