Well it has definitely been a battle of the titans. While in the value sector, it still shows who is capable of making a graphics card on a budget to kill its rivals.
Gigabyte GeForce FX 5500 Final Thoughts
In all honesty, the GeForce FX 5500 is a graphics card to be avoided - a 5600 performance is better than this card, and is around the same price from some online vendors. Its reduced memory bus to 64-bit does make a huge impact on performance, and with some of the chips in the FX series having a poor overall performance in certain cases, lowering clocks and buses is only asking for disaster.
While this is a problem, Gigabyte has put together a good card without flaws and with a modest pack it is one to consider for a HTPC, but that's about it.
Gigabyte ATI Radeon 9550 Final Thoughts
The Radeon 9550 is a perfect replacement for the aging 9200 series. Its overclocking was brilliant, it has a wide enough memory bus to outperform the nVidia equal and at stock speeds requires only passive cooling making for a great silent PC addition.
The Gigabyte adoption is that of sheer silence and with a price tag that of the FX 5500, it's hard to go past this card for value desktop or silent computer systems.
The Gigabyte R9550128-D receives our "MUST HAVE" Best Value Award.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- FX 5500 vs. Radeon 9550 - Page 1 [Introduction]
- FX 5500 vs. Radeon 9550 - Page 2 [The Cards - Head to Head]
- FX 5500 vs. Radeon 9550 - Page 3 [The Cards - Head to Head Continued]
- FX 5500 vs. Radeon 9550 - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark2001SE]
- FX 5500 vs. Radeon 9550 - Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.