nVidia's implementation of SLI
nVidia's implementation of SLI is quite a bit different than the previous methods we saw on the last page. From what we can see, nVidia has extensively studied the old 3DFX SLI technology and improved on every aspect of the technology to create their own breed of modern SLI which can currently be utilized with their Quadro, GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra flavors (only).
- High Speed Digital Interface
Compared to the 3DFX technology for one, there is no longer the need of having a messy array of cables connecting the cards at the back of your system for visual output. With nVidia's PCI Express SLI, all these tasks are performed internally using the "High Speed Digital Interface" which connects both cards together using a simple SLI connector which plugs into the cards "MIO" port, as pictured below on our reference 6800 Ultra PCI Express sample.
The cards are then connected using an SLI connector which you can see below. The connector is essentially just a small circuit board with two MIO connectors (or plugs).
Compared to 3DFX's method of connecting the cards with a cheap ribbon cable, the new implementation from nVidia just feels much better. It's something I would have more confidence in.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Hearthstone World Championships 2016 prize pool raised to $1 million
- Google flooded with 'right to be forgotten', 1 million URLs so far
- OnePlus won't replace faulty USB Type-C cable on its OnePlus 2 handset
- Introducing Li-Fi, the Wi-Fi killer that boasts 224Gbps
- NVIDIA rumored to be preparing the GeForce GTX 960 Ti
- Lexar JumpDrive M20i 32GB OTG iOS Flash Drive Review
- Gibabyte GA-Z170X- Gaming 7 Supported RAM (2 x16Gb or 4 x 8GB) ?
- heya! PC-A10 case parts?
- Enermax ETS-T40fit CPU Coolers Review
- Seagate Game Drive for PlayStation 1TB Review
- Eurocom offers $500 USD off Black Friday & Cyber Monday deal for EUROCOM Sky X9 Desktop Laptop with Intel Skylake desktop class CPUs and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Desktop GPU and 64 GB DDR4 memory
- MSI @ DREAMHACK WINTER 2015
- ADATA Releases the Lightning Card Reader
- MSI Announces ECO Series Socket LGA1151 Motherboards
- Mionix Announces New-generation SARGAS Mousepad Family