nVidia's implementation of SLI
nVidia's implementation of SLI is quite a bit different than the previous methods we saw on the last page. From what we can see, nVidia has extensively studied the old 3DFX SLI technology and improved on every aspect of the technology to create their own breed of modern SLI which can currently be utilized with their Quadro, GeForce 6800 GT and Ultra flavors (only).
- High Speed Digital Interface
Compared to the 3DFX technology for one, there is no longer the need of having a messy array of cables connecting the cards at the back of your system for visual output. With nVidia's PCI Express SLI, all these tasks are performed internally using the "High Speed Digital Interface" which connects both cards together using a simple SLI connector which plugs into the cards "MIO" port, as pictured below on our reference 6800 Ultra PCI Express sample.
The cards are then connected using an SLI connector which you can see below. The connector is essentially just a small circuit board with two MIO connectors (or plugs).
Compared to 3DFX's method of connecting the cards with a cheap ribbon cable, the new implementation from nVidia just feels much better. It's something I would have more confidence in.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Western Digital reveals two 64-layer 3D NAND SSDs
- Win 'Gold' in our Blu-ray giveway!
- LG V30 could have sliding dual displays
- Qualcomm and LG working on Snapdragon 845 for the LG G7
- Samsung's first dual camera phone leaks in a video
- Lian Li PC-Q25B - distance between stand and edge of case
- LaCie Bolt3 2TB Thunderbolt 3 Review
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- HyperX expand DDR4 memory with higher density kits up to 4,000MHz
- Western Digital to deliver world's first client solid state drives with 64-layer 3D NAND technology
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card