Silicon Motion SM2256 256GB R&D Board
It's important to keep in mind that we're only doing a preview today with the Silicon Motion R&D board - not a completed, shipping product. It's my understanding that there are very few of these in the world and we are the first outside of SMI to take this combination for a spin.
The R&D design looks like many other SSDs aside from the exotic components. We don't want to call this a reference design since the label doesn't state that it is, and we didn't ask a lot of questions while running up to the room to begin testing.
On the back of the board, there are some power handling surface mount components, eight additional flash package pads and two pads for DRAM.
Here we get our first close up look at the new Silicon Motion SM2256 controller. The controller is labeled SM2256G AA. This is a quad-channel controller with advanced LDPC capability that is able to work with the latest 1z and 1y MLC, as well as TLC.
The Toshiba A19 TLC flash we have on this R&D board uses TSOP to connect to the PCB. The flash is laser etched Toshiba at the top, but a sticker and tape cover the package. This flash is Toshiba part number TH58TEG8TDKTA20. We tried to find more information on Google, but the search engine delivered zero results.
Silicon Motion used DRAM from SK Hynix, part number H5TQ4G63AFA. The SM2256 controller can address both DDR2 and DDR3 DRAM.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Silicon Motion SM2256 Controller]
- Page 3 [Toshiba A19 3-bit per cell TLC Flash & Shots Fired]
- Page 4 [Silicon Motion SM2256 256GB R&D Board]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Uber suspends self-driving car tech after Arizona crash
- GIGABYTE's new Z270X-Designare looks absolutely AMAZING
- Set sail with 'Moana' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway!
- MSI makes its GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X official
- StarCraft remastered announced by Blizzard
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Just finished my PC-011 Build
- ASUS M51Vr Notebook. Long story.
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse