Silicon Motion SM2256 256GB R&D Board
It's important to keep in mind that we're only doing a preview today with the Silicon Motion R&D board - not a completed, shipping product. It's my understanding that there are very few of these in the world and we are the first outside of SMI to take this combination for a spin.
The R&D design looks like many other SSDs aside from the exotic components. We don't want to call this a reference design since the label doesn't state that it is, and we didn't ask a lot of questions while running up to the room to begin testing.
On the back of the board, there are some power handling surface mount components, eight additional flash package pads and two pads for DRAM.
Here we get our first close up look at the new Silicon Motion SM2256 controller. The controller is labeled SM2256G AA. This is a quad-channel controller with advanced LDPC capability that is able to work with the latest 1z and 1y MLC, as well as TLC.
The Toshiba A19 TLC flash we have on this R&D board uses TSOP to connect to the PCB. The flash is laser etched Toshiba at the top, but a sticker and tape cover the package. This flash is Toshiba part number TH58TEG8TDKTA20. We tried to find more information on Google, but the search engine delivered zero results.
Silicon Motion used DRAM from SK Hynix, part number H5TQ4G63AFA. The SM2256 controller can address both DDR2 and DDR3 DRAM.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 2 [Silicon Motion SM2256 Controller]
- Page 3 [Toshiba A19 3-bit per cell TLC Flash & Shots Fired]
- Page 4 [Silicon Motion SM2256 256GB R&D Board]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- ZOTAC's new mini PC packs full-sized GeForce GTX 1080
- Brand new Intel Kaby Lake HP laptops, up to $510 Off
- ZOTAC teams with Thermaltake on new GTX 1080 ArcticStorm
- Pokemon GO in-game Halloween event set for Oct 26 to Nov
- AMD confirms high-end Zen CPU launch for early 2017
- GIGABYTE Z170X-UD3 Ultra Motherboard Review
- Micro SDXC card Strontium vs Sandisk vs Samsung
- MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Gaming X 4G Review
- BP2SATA - Do I need to connect both power ports?
- HyperX ALLOY FPS Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications
- Simplygon enables future of virtual development with open access to software
- Lenovo debuts commercial desktops and notebooks featuring 7th generation AMD PRO processors
- BIOSTAR unveils its GeForce GTX 1060 dual-fan video cards
- Manli announces GeForce GTX 1050 Gallardo Series video cards