The SiS 648FX was the first chipset to come out supporting DDR-400 and 800MHz FSB that was independent; that is, not made by Intel. The 648FX is a direct descendant of the original 645 chipset, the first DDR supporting chipset commercially available. This chipset predated the i845D series, however, never got the full attention it deserved. Today SiS has put all on the line to take on the budget users.
The 648FX chipset is comprised of the 648FX HMAC and the SiS 963 or 964 MuTILO Southbridge. These two are interconnected by a 16-bit bus operating at a peak bandwidth of 1GB/s, the fastest of all the busses available. Designed to take full advantage of single channel DDR, the 648FX takes a page from the 655FX's book with its new bus optimizations called Hyperstreaming.
The Hyperstreaming engine: Its design is simply a packet sending technology. Instead of sending one large chunk of data at a time, it allows concurrent smaller transfers to take place allowing the reduction of latencies between memory, AGP, PCI and CPU buses. While this may not seem like a huge advantage, when you are limiting the memory bandwidth you will need all the optimizations you can get.
The DDR memory controller is a direct descendant of the original 648 in that it supports DDR-266, 333 and 400 technologies. This allows for a maximum of 3.2GB/s of memory bandwidth transfer. Hyper-Threading is also supported on this chipset. Hyper-Threading has been implemented on SiS chipsets since revision 2 of the 645 series when Intel first announced HT.
The Southbridge mostly widely used is the 963(UL) due to the higher costs involved with the 964 series. The 963(UL) brings ATA-133 IDE, six USB 2.0 ports, 10/100 Ethernet, AC'97 2.2 audio as well as Firewire support.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 1 [Introduction]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 2 [The Chipsets - Intel i848P]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 3 [The Chipsets - VIA PT800]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 4 [The Chipsets - SiS 648FX]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 5 [The Chipsets - Ali M1683]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 6 [The Reference Boards]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 15 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Need for Speed coming to PC in March, 4K and unlocked framerate
- Telsa's new 'Summon' feature parks, and retrieves your Model S vehicle
- Square Enix online store celebrates 15 years with a Super Sale
- Gabe Newell gave away HTC Vive Pre's like Santa Claus at Unity event
- LG unveils the touch-enabled Quick Cover for its unannounced G5 phone
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance