The SiS 648FX was the first chipset to come out supporting DDR-400 and 800MHz FSB that was independent; that is, not made by Intel. The 648FX is a direct descendant of the original 645 chipset, the first DDR supporting chipset commercially available. This chipset predated the i845D series, however, never got the full attention it deserved. Today SiS has put all on the line to take on the budget users.
The 648FX chipset is comprised of the 648FX HMAC and the SiS 963 or 964 MuTILO Southbridge. These two are interconnected by a 16-bit bus operating at a peak bandwidth of 1GB/s, the fastest of all the busses available. Designed to take full advantage of single channel DDR, the 648FX takes a page from the 655FX's book with its new bus optimizations called Hyperstreaming.
The Hyperstreaming engine: Its design is simply a packet sending technology. Instead of sending one large chunk of data at a time, it allows concurrent smaller transfers to take place allowing the reduction of latencies between memory, AGP, PCI and CPU buses. While this may not seem like a huge advantage, when you are limiting the memory bandwidth you will need all the optimizations you can get.
The DDR memory controller is a direct descendant of the original 648 in that it supports DDR-266, 333 and 400 technologies. This allows for a maximum of 3.2GB/s of memory bandwidth transfer. Hyper-Threading is also supported on this chipset. Hyper-Threading has been implemented on SiS chipsets since revision 2 of the 645 series when Intel first announced HT.
The Southbridge mostly widely used is the 963(UL) due to the higher costs involved with the 964 series. The 963(UL) brings ATA-133 IDE, six USB 2.0 ports, 10/100 Ethernet, AC'97 2.2 audio as well as Firewire support.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 1 [Introduction]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 2 [The Chipsets - Intel i848P]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 3 [The Chipsets - VIA PT800]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 4 [The Chipsets - SiS 648FX]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 5 [The Chipsets - Ali M1683]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 6 [The Reference Boards]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 15 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dishonored 2 lets you play as Corvo or Emily, has dynamic endings
- New Watch Dogs 2 lead character reportedly leaked
- YouTube testing clean Material design
- Twitter stock falls to all-time low
- The Rock's alarm clock app inspires you to get up in the morning
- x5450 on ep43-s3l overclock help
- Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming-5P | Intermittent Boot Failure & USB Crashes in Windows 10
- LaCie P9227 Porsche Design Mobile Drive 4TB USB C Review
- Asus F2A85-M won't go into BIOS
- I bought a new open box assus laptop but the sound does not work, help.
- Colorful to showcase new products at COMPUTEX 2016
- Global e-channel expanded by 23% in Q1-2016 according to Icecat
- The PGL KeSPA Regional Minor Championship: Asia to debut this Thursday; full schedule revealed
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience