Well, we have tested out the Dual Channel chipsets and now taken a look at the single channel and what can we say? Well for one, Dual Channel, while giving the extra bandwidth to the CPU, helps get those extra PCMarks and FPS in the games. In actual point of fact, single channel DDR for the Pentium 4 is still a viable alternative for the masses who can't afford matched paired DIMMs, or afford the higher priced Dual Channel DDR.
Single channel has shown that it has evolved from its beginnings on the i845 platform to take up a position in the value to budget market, and with some very impressive scores.
Ali, while adding HyperTransport bus to the Pentium 4 processor, really didn't put anything new on the table. Though it is future ready for LGA775 and 1000+FSB, it simply doesn't have enough power in today's market to really be put to any great use. The Southbridge, while fast in its I/O link, lacks high quality AC'97, the additional USB 2.0 ports and also lacks Serial ATA support, which isn't a must have now, but by the time 1000+FSB hits, it will be. The main advantage of this chipset today is its compatibility with the MCP-S from nVidia, which does support Serial ATA and Gigabit Ethernet. This combination would make this chipset more attractive.
SiS has in the past, and still does today, produce good quality low cost alternatives, but at this point that's all the 648FX is; an alternative. Sure it does top over the Ali, but its current pairing with the 963UL Southbridge does limit some of the features you can get with this chipset, which includes Serial ATA. Though slower than Intel and VIA, it does earn a place if you are the SiS fan.
Intel's i848P is simply evolution on the i845 platform. Only the addition of the CSA bus gives it the impression it's from the i865 and i875 family, however, without any PAT or enhanced memory features, this chipset falls behind to 2nd place. One thing in Intel's favor is the inclusion of Serial ATA on the ICH5 series chipsets, which the i848P is mostly paired with.
The VIA PT800 is simply a work of art from VIA. Designed to be the ultimate in single channel DDR chipsets, it has taken out the top form today in 99% of our tests. Supporting Serial ATA and RAID as standard as well as support for future memory standards along with Hyper Threading, Prescott ready and not to mention VIA's first P4 chipset since the P4X series went under, the PT800 has been given our seal of approval and our Best Performance Award!
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 1 [Introduction]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 2 [The Chipsets - Intel i848P]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 3 [The Chipsets - VIA PT800]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 4 [The Chipsets - SiS 648FX]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 5 [The Chipsets - Ali M1683]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 6 [The Reference Boards]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 15 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Unity answers Unreal's VR Editor with its own VR-in-VR dev toolset
- Netflix completes migration to Amazon Web Services at last
- Ubisoft expects The Division to be a huge record-breaking new IP
- The Dark Knight is the true star of final 'Batman V Superman' trailer
- Windows 3.x Showcase lets you try out early 90s software again
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance