Mainconcept is a DV conversion utility to convert DV files into MPEG Layer 2 (DVD) quality video files. We use a 1.2GB test file and convert it into a MPEG-2 video at 720x576 and 25fps with stereo sound, and calculate the time each system takes to encode the file. The less the time, the better.
Here we see VIA lose some ground to the Intel i848P. While we aren't able to determine why it lost the ground, it was no fluke as four test runs revealed the same trend.
XMPEG is a high quality converter based on lossless MPEG/AC3 decoders. It decodes MPEG1 (Audio & Video) and MPEG2 streams and offers you the possibility to re-encode them in the format you want. It exports video and audio frames through an Adobe Premiere interface. To keep the maximum quality of your film, it integrates HQ Bicubic (0, 0.75) and Bessel (for audio) filters. The plugins furnished in this package allow you to create your own DivX, DVD, or SVCD files with the maximum output quality.
For this we used the same file for Mainconcept, however, this time we used XMPEG to convert the file into a MPEG-4 or DIVX video.
Here, though, a different story unfolds. VIA takes out the XMPEG tests with flying colors.
Lame MP3 is an audio encoding utility that can turn your large wav files into simple MPEG-3 (MP3) files. For this we used a 200MB wav file and converted it to MP3 at 128-bit and 44kHz.
In the final encoding test we see VIA equal out with the Intel i848P; still well ahead of the Ali and SiS chipsets.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 1 [Introduction]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 2 [The Chipsets - Intel i848P]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 3 [The Chipsets - VIA PT800]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 4 [The Chipsets - SiS 648FX]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 5 [The Chipsets - Ali M1683]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 6 [The Reference Boards]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 15 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield Hardline: Betrayal brings a sword to a gun fight, and more
- For Honor not meant for the mass market, more of a 'core' game
- Stay Connected to Netflix, Hulu & More Anywhere in the World
- Bungie confirms Destiny 2 for 2017, 'large expansion' coming in 2016
- Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare 2 gets 12 maps when it launches
- Cougar 450K Hybrid Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- more a what's your opinion on motherboard replacement re: asus 1225b
- Debug 62
- Asrock z97e-itx/ac Bifurcation Support
- Intel Compute Stick "2" STK1AW32SC 2GB Windows 10 Review
- Phanteks Announces the Eclipse P400 and P400S Chassis
- ESL Hearthstone Legendary Series returns to Intel Extreme Masters Katowice 2016
- ASUS Republic of Gamers Announces Horus GK2000 Gaming Keyboard
- Logitech Announces the G810 Orion Spectrum Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
- ADATA Reveals HD650X and HD710M USB 3.0 External Hard Drives