Back in March, 2004, we decided to pit the elite of the Intel Pentium 4 chipsets against each other; this being chipsets supporting 800MHz FSB, Dual Channel DDR memory support, Serial ATA as well as Gigabit Ethernet to see who would be king. Without so much as a glance, the i875P won out, due in large part to Intel's greater experience with DDR SDRAM for the Pentium 4 platform.
While everyone wants to get the ultra powerful processors, the most memory and greatest graphics cards, for some of us on the budget, it simply isn't feasible to have all this great technology. This doesn't mean, however, that we are without options for a great performing system.
While Dual Channel DDR does deliver the ultimate in Pentium 4 pleasure, single channel solutions have come a long way since its humble beginnings with the i845D chipset from Intel. Now we have Ali, SiS and VIA all producing single channel DDR chipsets for the Pentium 4 for the ultra budget market. Though lacking Dual Channel Memory, these chipsets are all 800MHz FSB ready, support DDR-400 and also come ready for the Prescott series processors.
Today we have the Intel, VIA, SiS and Ali chipsets on the test bed to determine, who is able to deliver the ultimate in single channel DDR, and where you should look if you are considering your purchase.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 1 [Introduction]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 2 [The Chipsets - Intel i848P]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 3 [The Chipsets - VIA PT800]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 4 [The Chipsets - SiS 648FX]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 5 [The Chipsets - Ali M1683]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 6 [The Reference Boards]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and SiSoft]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Media Encoding]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 12 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 13 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 14 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- P4 Budget Chipset - Page 15 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- J.J. Abrams teases imminent Portal movie announcement
- Titanfall 2's story trailer is an amazing piece of work
- Forza Horizon 3 shows that Microsoft hates PC gaming
- Microsoft is reportedly working on an all-in-one Surface
- Apple copies Samsung again, with exploding iPhone 7 Plus
- ASRock Z87 EXTREME4 won't restart - debug code 4F
- ASUS X99-Deluxe II Motherboard Review
- U.2 Kit on Taichi
- Z170X-Gaming 5 - Thunderbolt controller + Intel RST drivers issue.
- Palit GeForce GTX 1070 GameRock Premium Edition Review
- Antec and Razer team up to co-brand a new Mini-ITX gaming chassis
- Samsung Electronics accelerates the NVMe era for consumers with its highest performing 960 PRO and EVO Solid State Drives
- Lighting is in the Aer: NZXT launches Aer RGB, premium LED PWM fans
- Syber Gaming delivers VR and 4K-ready 'C Series' small form factor gaming PC
- HyperX Gears of War gaming headset shipping now