Test System Setup
Processor(s): AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Video card(s): nVidia nForce 3 250GB Reference (Supplied by nVidia)
Memory: 1 x 512MB Kingmax PC4000 (Supplied by Kingmax)
Hard Disk(s): Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM SATA (Supplied by Western Digital)
Operating System Used: Windows XP Professional SP1
Drivers Used: ATI Catalyst 4.4, nVidia Reference 409 (NF250GB) and nVidia Forceware 56.72
As we mentioned, the ATI Radeon 9550 series of cards are designed to compete against the GeForce FX 5500 and FX 5700LE offerings from nVidia. We will be comparing the two cards we have here today against the Sparkle FX 5500 and FX 5700LE.
We will also have a look at what the Extreme version of the 9550 from GeCube offers over the other cards and if there is much difference from the BGA memory used compared to the slower TSOP used on the PowerColor 9550.
3DMark 2001 SE
3DMark2001 SE is a part of the popular 3DMark series. By combining DirectX 8.1 support with completely new graphics (including the GeForce4), it continues to provide benchmark results that empower you to make informed hardware assessments.
The PowerColor 9550 compares very closely to the FX 5500 which is just behind in both benchmarks. The Extreme version from GeCube offers a huge jump from the PowerColor which follows the reference design. The Extreme model even passes the 5700LE on offer so it will be interesting to see what price is like when it hits the market.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 2 [Overview of Radeon 9550]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 3 [The Core and 9550 Participant Cards]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark 2001 SE]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 5 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 2003]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aquamark 3]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight 2]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Comanche 4]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Quake 3]
- Value GPU Shootout - Page 12 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.