Today we have seen some very interesting results brought about by Intel. The Prescott, rumoured to be the killer of the AMD64 and the next great leap for Intel has so far been anything but that, in fact, it lacks behind its earlier Northwood brother in a couple of tests.
While its current adoption is slow, the Pentium 4 went through this same problem when it first arrived - brand new high speed instructions with no applications to support it. Here we have seen only one program with any SSE3 support, granted it did manage to show the Prescott in a much better light.
The fact is at this stage P4C and P4EE are a better choice. The C series, now the Prescott has come out, will drop in price which will attract more customers towards the Northwood processor rather than pay big bucks for the Prescott. And with compatibility assured with the older series motherboards, it is more of an attractive prospect.
While the EE series is more expensive than the Prescott, its current grunt is much more powerful than the Prescott is currently able to produce. This could and should change in the near future when DirectX comes with SSE3 optimisations and programs start to take advantage of the SSE3 instructions, however, we don't see that happening for some time, if the adoption of SSE2 and X86-64 is anything to go by.
Overall the Prescott will make a great future CPU, however, the issue on the power drain on motherboards is currently a big issue, and in point of fact is driving many customers away from the CPU, with time, Intel will most likely improve the thermal design of the 478 series, but for now it certainly is a big issue and worth looking out for.
Overall the Prescott turned out a slightly disappointing from all the hype that was put towards the new 90nm process series, with Gallatin taking out most of the honours, it does tend to put a bit of a damper on the new design.
For the hard earned efforts of the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition, we have given it a TweakTown "MUST HAVE" Performance Award.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 2 [The Cores in Detail]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 3 [Which Pentium 4? Compatibility in Question]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test Systems Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Audio and Video Encoding]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 12 [Conclusion]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New images of the upcoming LG G6 leaked
- COD: Infinite Warfare - best-selling game of 2016 in US
- The entire gaming market slumped 12% in the US last year
- Bloody new 'Logan' trailer embraces hard R-rating
- Buy Resident Evil 7 on Xbox One, get it on the PC, too
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Z170MX-Gaming 5 + i5 7600k.. Should work or not?
- ASRock 2.70 Splash Screen replaces Windows?
- bios update
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni