Pentium 4, without a doubt has become the most evolving technology for Intel Corporation. It started out as the next generation of CPU and it has now evolved to the point of totally insane clock speeds with the latest in fabrication technologies.
The Pentium 4 has not had as great a run as Intel would have liked. Unlike the AMD Athlon CPU, the Pentium 4 wasn't welcomed with open arms by OEM's or retail users when it was first released - Why? Simply put cost and performance.
The Intel Pentium 4 on release would cost you $800 for a 1.4GHz Pentium 4 CPU itself, added to this the price of a motherboard based on the only chipset avalible, the 850 and you had around $300 extra. Then came the final insult, 850 was designed for one memory technology only, RDRAM - the most expensive memory type available.
Now if this wasn't enough to put you off then we had the performance reviews. With results of the Pentium III 1GHz destroying the P4 1.4GHz, and AMD Athlon CPUs simply blowing the Pentium 4 away, the P4 was avoided like the plague.
Intel's agreements with RAMBUS at the time prevented any production or official support for any DDR based memory, which Intel itself has discredited as a low performance alternative to RDRAM. It wasn't until RDRAM agreements were abolished that Intel put its faith in DDR, and hasn't it come a long way. Intel has had five chipsets alone based on single channel DDR memory and four based on the Dual Channel Memory DDR. With these advancements we have seen core advancements go hand in hand. Intel's first core, Willamette, was more of the test subject, with users purchasing them as last resorts. It wasn't until Northwood entered the scene that the Intel Pentium 4 took off, especially in the overclockers market. Since the Northwood we have had two new cores grace the front papers - the Gallatin or better known as the Pentium 4 Extreme Edition and the Prescott or the Pentium 4E as it is also known.
Today we have got our hands on the Northwood, Gallatin and Prescott CPU's all clocked at 3.2GHz. Today we crown the winner of the Pentium 4 Architectures whilst put up against both of AMD's top dogs.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 1 [Introduction]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 2 [The Cores in Detail]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 3 [Which Pentium 4? Compatibility in Question]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test Systems Setup and SiSoft Sandra]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 5 [Benchmarks - PCMark04]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 6 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 7 [Benchmarks - Audio and Video Encoding]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 8 [Benchmarks - Aquamark3]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 9 [Benchmarks - Halo PC]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 10 [Benchmarks - Jedi Knight II]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 11 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 2003]
- Three Pentium 4 Amigos - Page 12 [Conclusion]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Fallout 4 mod fixes compass glitch caused by Crimson Edition driver
- Creationists upset over Google 'Who is Lucy' Doodle
- Microsoft restores Windows 10 November update downloads
- Sony's PlayStation 4 dominates sales charts with 30.2 million sales
- Halo PC is finally happening, and Microsoft has nothing to do with it
- I am the new guy
- SanDisk Extreme 500 240GB USB 3.0 Portable SSD Review
- ID-Cooling IS-VC45 SFF CPU Cooler Review
- New Build Problem
- Upgrade RAM on G11CD system assistance
- LG RAY DELIVERS LARGE HD DISPLAY AND BEST-IN-CLASS CAMERAS FOR 3G MARKETS
- Cherry Announces MW 2310, MW 2110, and MC 2000 Mice
- Phanteks Announces Power Splitter with Patented Isolated Dual System Technology
- QPAD's latest mouse launches world premier at Dreamhack
- Noctua Introduces 24V IndustrialPPC Fans